Repaints GM Buses Fleetline/Atlantean Pack (Released) (2 Viewers)

Hi all,

I've been working on a repaint of the Fleetline, to make something akin to an Atlantean (visually anyway), with a view to releasing a GM Buses pack, focussing from de-regulation up-to around 2001 when mass withdrawls took place.

Each repaint has been reproduced from photos, using colour references from the Selnec Preservation Society.
All bodyside adverts are from reference photos and are appropriate to the period.

So far, there's the following...

Mid-Late 80s
The iconic GM Buses Orange, Brown & White

Bolton Depot
1570218939156.png

1570218995953.png

Rochdale depot
1570219437741.png

Wigan depot
1570219560925.png

Late 80s/Early 90s
Orange & Brown "People on the move"
1570219263974.png

1570219286640.png

All over Orange - Large logo "People on the move"
1570219114615.png

1570219155170.png

Early-Late 90s
"Whortleberry", Orange & White
1570218777684.png

1570221439040.png

1570218839842.png

GM Buses North (GMN) "Stripes"
1570219730329.png

1570219804000.png

Interior

Internal body panelling and seat moquette changes, depending on repaint
1570221353254.png

1570220037897.png

1570221113045.png

1570220074632.png

What's left to do?

Mid-Late 80s - Other depots, Atherton, City Central (Queens Road) etc
Try to source quality photos of depot roundels for Early-Late 90s repaints that haven't been taken at an angle
Replace GM Buses logo on "Whortleberry", Orange & White, as i've just noticed it's not the correct one!
GM Buses North (GMN) Stripes - Sort clipping issue on engine bay
Redo the smaller interior text and some of the interior posters, as some of it has suffered badly from crap anti-aliasing in Paint.net
Source period ceiling advert examples

Repaints
GM Buses North (GMN) "Whortleberry", Orange & White, GMN sticker logo
GM Buses North (GMN) "Stripes", "First Greater Manchester"
First Greater Manchester "Tomato soup"
GM South (GMS) / GMS "A Stagecoach subsidiary"

All repaints are currently using the manual gearbox, but should be semi-auto, as GMT standardised on this prior to deregulation, scrapping all non-semi-auto Fleetlines and Atlanteans.
I had been in contact with FF3170 over using the semi-auto SF2-31 model, but came across issues with texture mapping on the right side and internals, which weren't worth persuing at the time, so I'm interested to know whether this is something you guys would like to see?

Also interested to know if folks would like a Selnec/GM Transport pack on the back of these as well.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
I grew up in Manchester and have fond memoeries of GM Buses, so I have to admit that Calderline isn't an area I have any knowledge of really, but it had been on my hitlist for a later pack, along with North Birmingham Busways and First Pennine.

It needs a couple of tweaks around the engine bay, a slightly deeper yellow and filling in around the light cluster (which is a pain to do!), but I knocked this up in about 45 mins... How does that do you? ;)

View attachment 54626
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 22.15.29_t.png

Advertisement

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Just out of curiosity how many routes will this have? (Sorry for going off topic)
Thanks so much for your interest! :D

So, I know that this might seem like a huge project (which it is, especially for someone who doesn't even know how to do custom junctions, objects aligned to splines and water), but this is the current plan for BoC. At the moment, I've got the north-eastern outskirts of Testrington, up to the town limits of Brenhew. So to answer your question, it's probably going to be more than 5 (I also plan on doing full-coastal routes, e.g. Pondlestead > Sawsand and Calborough > Chumford > Cassbridge > Charleigh, and also a connection from Cringeworth to Calborough) and also maybe 1 or 2 in Pondlestead (perhaps). So that's probably 9-10 routes. (This is subject to change though, so no promises!)

Testrington and Area map.png

As a small bonus, here are a few in-game shots. :)

Here's a shot of the Masterdeck in @Ash992478's lovely Brighton Coaster repaint, eastbound, currently in Woustley Woods between Testrington and Quenleigh. (I got this weather by first having it foggy, hitting P for pause, changing the weather to <Best Weather>, making the the skybox change but the fog remain as it was still paused.)

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 10.12.11.png

Ghost sighting in Woustley Woods, just a round that bend behind the Masterdeck (just outside Testrington).
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 13.27.24.png

Renown in the foggy woods between Quenleigh and Sinley...
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 13.29.19.png

♫ Into the Woods where nothing's clear... ♫
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 13.31.39.png

♫ ... where Trees and Parks and Renowns appear! ♫
(Pickle Pond Park)
Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 00.19.46.png

Also, the route will be operated mainly by First. If I ever find out how to do Chrono events, it might switch to Stagecoach around 2013. (HUGE maybe)
Eventually, I'll update this post with a few more shots of the map. ;)

Hope this helps, and thanks again! :)

Attachments

• Testrington and Area map.png
    Testrington and Area map.png
    651.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Cauterize1750

FirstBro

First Yorkshire's Managing Director
Thanks so much for your interest! :D

So, I know that this might seem like a huge project (which it is, especially for someone who doesn't even know how to do custom junctions, objects aligned to splines and water), but this is the current plan for BoC. At the moment, I've got the north-eastern outskirts of Testrington, up to the town limits of Brenhew. So to answer your question, it's probably going to be more than 5 (I also plan on doing full-coastal routes, e.g. Pondlestead > Sawsand and Calborough > Chumford > Cassbridge > Charleigh, and also a connection from Cringeworth to Calborough) and also maybe 1 or 2 in Pondlestead (perhaps). So that's probably 9-10 routes. (This is subject to change though, so no promises!)

View attachment 54641

As a small bonus, here are a few in-game shots. :)

Here's a shot of the Masterdeck in @Ash992478's lovely Brighton Coaster repaint, eastbound, currently in Woustley Woods between Testrington and Quenleigh. (I got this weather by first having it foggy, hitting P for pause, changing the weather to <Best Weather>, making the the skybox change but the fog remain as it was still paused.)

View attachment 54640

Ghost sighting in Woustley Woods, just a round that bend behind the Masterdeck (just outside Testrington).
View attachment 54642

Renown in the foggy woods between Quenleigh and Sinley...
View attachment 54644

♫ Into the Woods where nothing's clear... ♫
View attachment 54645

♫ ... where Trees and Parks and Renowns appear! ♫
(Pickle Pond Park)
View attachment 54648

Also, the route will be operated mainly by First. If I ever find out how to do Chrono events, it might switch to Stagecoach around 2013. (HUGE maybe)
Eventually, I'll update this post with a few more shots of the map. ;)

Hope this helps, and thanks again! :)
Not bad at all, looking forward to seeing how well it turns out when done.

Advertisement

typojinx

Mr GM Buses
Apr 4, 2017
Hate to be so extremely pedantic, but just so you know, the FirstBus logo and regional bold straplines do not have dotted 'i's for some unknown reason. Just erase the 'i' dot in the text, and that should sort it. Might be easy to miss if you're scratch-making your own logos. See below for an example:

I hadn't spotted that until you pointed it out!

I initially took the logo from the First Group branding guidelines, but must have recreated it for some reason... thankfully there aren't that many First repaints to fix ????!

Also, nice job picking one of the Atlanteans that had suffered front end damage and ended up with the front of a Scania N113!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2016
Awesome repaints!! ….much better than the ones I did a few years ago but never finished.

Just one small point - it looks like you have recreated the text part of the First logo using Arial font which isn’t correct.

It should be like this (notice the different shape of the 'r'):
1571784252217.png

Hope you don't mind the pointer.

Advertisement

typojinx

Mr GM Buses
Apr 4, 2017
Awesome repaints!! ….much better than the ones I did a few years ago but never finished.

Just one small point - it looks like you have recreated the text part of the First logo using Arial font which isn’t correct.

It should be like this (notice the different shape of the 'r'):
View attachment 54700
Hope you don't mind the pointer.

Thanks Mark - I don't know about them being better than yours from a while ago, but I can say yours were one of the reasons I started this journey when you said they weren't released!

Also, I don't mind at all, hadn't noticed the shorter 'r' either until you mentioned it - That'll teach me to go reading the brand guidelines that stipulates fonts and sizes for reproduction ????

Even though it's all based on the Fleetline with the wrong bodywork, I'd still prefer as much as possible to be right, if you know what I mean?

typojinx

Mr GM Buses
Apr 4, 2017
Great work - the period adverts are the icing on the cake!

Here's a GM Buses repaint I started in 2016 (but never finished) with a GM Buses advert:
View attachment 54737

Told you your repaints were what inspired me to do this, shame it was never released.

Interested to know whether you found a decent photo of the Queens Road depot sticker, or recreated it - I'm finding getting hold of decent depot sticker photos hard work and I'm nowhere near good enough at drawing with a mouse to recreate them unfortunately.

As for adverts, the other thing that seems to be hard work to find at the moment, is finding photos of adverts on the nearside or internal ceiling ads. The vast majority of photos I come across, are taken from the offside and I've no shortage of reference material for those... Currently got over 500 tabs open in Chrome!

Reactions: Babylon

typojinx

Mr GM Buses
Apr 4, 2017
Just a few things left to sort, some advert variety, change/redo stair bulkhead posters and the readme and then it'll be done...

But first, I thought I'd introduce a bit of variety between the Fleetline and Atlantean, as GM Buses inherited a healthy fleet of both types with the GM Standard body from Greater Manchester Transport.

One difference between the Fleetline and certainly later GM Standard Atlanteans, was the rear light cluster, so I've been looking at changing this on different repaints, to alternate between the original and later cluster types on refurb/non-refurb etc...

1572995414877.png

And here's Atlantean and Fleetline clusters in game side by side :)
The later clusters were all originally rectangular, so there's not much I can do about the curved edges as that's part of the mesh...

1572996093053.png
1572995256334.png
1572995298674.png

Atlantean Day/Night and then the standard Fleetline cluster

1572995908645.png

Keen to know what you think!

Last edited:

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread