Glazed repaints :/ (1 Viewer)

Greetings all!

I'm currently modifying the Great Grundorf map for my own personal use and one of the things I've been trying to do it retexture all of the buses into different colours. However, they all end up looking like Glazed doughnuts. Not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I'm sure one of you will know what's going on.

mQd8vXFBVXwY-rn7mwZ0XdLOlpB0V-ovgDnN_7Iyo4UropfFh1M5n7uD9jX6a1PxKR9xl2PQA2EwSg=w1920-h1070-rw

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/m...h1M5n7uD9jX6a1PxKR9xl2PQA2EwSg=w1920-h1070-rw
(just in case the image doesn't show)

Hope somebody can help, thanks in advance.

Bones

im a cowdoy
Administrator
FF Council
Sep 19, 2016
Canada
fellowsfilm.com
Pronouns
He/Him
Greetings all!

I'm currently modifying the Great Grundorf map for my own personal use and one of the things I've been trying to do it retexture all of the buses into different colours. However, they all end up looking like Glazed doughnuts. Not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong here, but I'm sure one of you will know what's going on.

mQd8vXFBVXwY-rn7mwZ0XdLOlpB0V-ovgDnN_7Iyo4UropfFh1M5n7uD9jX6a1PxKR9xl2PQA2EwSg=w1920-h1070-rw

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/m...h1M5n7uD9jX6a1PxKR9xl2PQA2EwSg=w1920-h1070-rw
(just in case the image doesn't show)

Hope somebody can help, thanks in advance.
You attached an image that requires permissions from drive; Gotta attach it directly!!

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Many buses including the default buses use the transparency channel of the repaint image as the value of reflectivity. This means that an opaque image would be 100% reflective, appearing chrome. The solution is to make the repaint image mostly transparent (>95%), which reduces the reflectivity such that the painted metal still looks shiny, but isn't entirely chrome. The aforementioned "repaint tool" does this for you. :)

Thanks for the replies, that's worked. I had tried to use it before with success, but I was looking more for a way to export directly from GIMP, but oh well, not everything is simple. On the topic of not being simple, the interior textures behave correctly directly out of GIMP, but not if I run them through the Repaint Tool, because reasons, I guess...

Even more non-simple, here's the end result. All I have done is change the hue of the original image (yes, I know the white is different, it's just a quick and sloppy job ;p) and yet it appears to have come out with some defects not present on the original, namely these yellow patches that are very noticeable around the destination display and vehicle ID.
Screenshot%20%28126%29.png

Dropbox - Screenshot (126).png

Also, what's recommended for being able to upload images?

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
The repaint tool templates (*.rpc files) for the default buses include those beige rectangles, borders and the BVG logos because all-over adverts for the real buses had those too and the repaint tool thinks you're creating one. There may be alternative templates available somewhere that don't have those bits (I know I created and uploaded one years ago when I was repainting a default SD200), but if you can't find any then you'll have to look into editing the '_MA' textures in the repaint tool templates folder - these act as the "mask" reference, i.e. what bits of the base texture to cut through and what parts to allow painting over. :)

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Is this pirated, or have you simply not had the chance to activate it?
Completely legit, haven't pirated anything since 2011 and I'm ashamed that I ever did. I simply haven't been bothered enough about the things it disables to deal with it yet. I will eventually. I'm a Linux guy, so paying about £70 for an OS is a preposterous idea to me. Software should drive sales of hardware and services, not the other way round.

As for the textures... that sounds... needlessly complex... I'm sure I can figure it out.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread