Game Engine used by SCS (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to wonder what framework SCS Soft used to make their games. But only recently I found out that SCS built their own framework from scratch based on Unity3d (Most widely used GameEngine) called Prism3D.

Prism3D technology is a mature, stable, flexible and reliable development platform with a solid line of finished products under its belt.

The engine has a huge feature set, combining extremely efficient scalable rendering on a wide range graphical hardware, with advanced physics, and a lightweight core backend with full support for object de/serialization.

However Prism3D represents far more than a game-engine - a powerful toolset supports the complete development pipeline - from asset creation in Maya, through automated asset conversion, to a one-touch build and product deployment system.

technology1.jpg

Prism3D is ready for multiplatform and console developement, supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit target architectures out of the box. Whether developing for Windows, OSX, or Linux, Prism3D has the tools you need.

Written entirely in C++, the Prism3D codebase was developed in parallel on multiple platforms, with modern development practices in mind. Code is consistent, object-oriented, and well documented throughout. Highly visible unit-tests help to maintain a consistently high standard of reliability.

All Credits to SCS Website

Website Link

Zantox

Retired TruckSim Staff
Feb 9, 2014
Interwebz
trucksim.org
I still fail to understand why anything is developed in C++ anymore. Java is way better. Not to mention it's much more object oriented which seems like that would be a wiser choice in this game's development? To me multi-threading and platform independence sounds like an advantage. I do acknowledge that C++ has better lower level system features and memory management, and is most likely used for 'faster' tasks. Perhaps @Nico could expand on this.

Advertisement

I still fail to understand why anything is developed in C++ anymore. Java is way better. Not to mention it's much more object oriented which seems like that would be a wiser choice in this game's development? To me multi-threading and platform independence sounds like an advantage. I do acknowledge that C++ has better lower level system features and memory management, and is most likely used for 'faster' tasks. Perhaps @Nico could expand on this.

I totally agree with you, but this was developed back in 2000s, when Java was still an experimental project.

Apr 1, 2014
It would be great if SCS used a scripting language like lua. We can see much better variety of mods. Now we cannot do anything because everything is compiled in .exe I think lua was used in World of Warcraft.

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
It would be great if SCS used a scripting language like lua. We can see much better variety of mods. Now we cannot do anything because everything is compiled in .exe I think lua was used in World of Warcraft.
That's the way SCS wants, if they wanted people to recode their games then it would have been made available to the modders already! Pretty much the only thing you can't do is recode the game entirely, alot of it is run by def files, which can be easily edited in notepad if you know what you're doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread