Maps Gainsborough (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Gainsborough!

Gainsborough is a market town, located in rural Lincolnshire, on the bank of the river trent. Local bus services are provided by Stagecoach Lincolnshire, and are a mixture of town services and rural connections. This map is set around 5 years ago, and re-creates the town bus network, branded as the "intotown". Bus routes are:

1: MORTON (Vanessa Drive) -> TOWN CENTRE -> NEWLANDS -> PARK SPRINGS -> TOWN CENTRE -> MORTON (Vanessa Drive)
1a: MORTON (Laughton Lane End) -> TOWN CENTRE -> NEWLANDS -> PARK SPRINGS -> TOWN CENTRE -> MORTON (Laughton Lane End)
2: TOWN CENTRE -> PARK SPRINGS -> NEWLANDS -> TOWN CENTRE

The 1 and 1a, each run hourly (Every 30 mins combined), and Service 2 also runs every 30 minutes. Buses only run Monday to Saturday daytimes. No buses at all serve Gainsborough in the evenings or on Sundays. Vehicle types are to be confirmed.

Gainsborough Bus Station:
G01.jpg

MORTON, Front Street
G02.jpg

Morton, Laughton Lane terminus - An Interconnect branded E400 prepares to depart to Gainsborough Town Centre
G03.jpg

Thorndike Way:
G04.jpg

Park Springs Road, on the Park Springs Housing Estate
G05.jpg

Another one on the Park Springs Estate - this time Glentham Road
g06.jpg

Last edited:

Advertisement

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
I very much enjoyed your Scunthorpe (both the original release and latest version) and I am looking forward to your Gainsborough release. I have visited the centre once in reality (whatever that large department store is) and passed through quite a few times so it will be nice to drive on somewhat familiar turf! Has the route network changed much in the last 5 years?

Advertisement

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
PLEASE NOTE - PURELY BY CHANCE - THERE ARE CURRENTLY TWO VERSIONS OF GAINSBOROUGH IN PRODUCTION IN THE OMSI COMMUNITY. NEITHER MAP ARE LINKED, AND BOTH WERE DEVELOPED IN PRIVATE INITIALLY. IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW THE MAPS DIFFER WHEN RELEASED!

Welcome to Gainsborough!

Gainsborough is a market town, located in rural Lincolnshire, on the bank of the river trent. Local bus services are provided by Stagecoach Lincolnshire, and are a mixture of town services and rural connections. This map is set around 5 years ago, and re-creates the town bus network, branded as the "intotown". Bus routes are:

1: MORTON (Vanessa Drive) -> TOWN CENTRE -> NEWLANDS -> PARK SPRINGS -> TOWN CENTRE -> MORTON (Vanessa Drive)
1a: MORTON (Laughton Lane End) -> TOWN CENTRE -> NEWLANDS -> PARK SPRINGS -> TOWN CENTRE -> MORTON (Laughton Lane End)
2: TOWN CENTRE -> PARK SPRINGS -> NEWLANDS -> TOWN CENTRE

The 1 and 1a, each run hourly (Every 30 mins combined), and Service 2 also runs every 30 minutes. Buses only run Monday to Saturday daytimes. No buses at all serve Gainsborough in the evenings or on Sundays. Vehicle types are to be confirmed.

Gainsborough Bus Station:
View attachment 23239
MORTON, Front Street
View attachment 23240
Morton, Laughton Lane terminus - An Interconnect branded E400 prepares to depart to Gainsborough Town Centre
View attachment 23241
Thorndike Way:
View attachment 23242
Park Springs Road, on the Park Springs Housing Estate
View attachment 23243
Another one on the Park Springs Estate - this time Glentham Road
View attachment 23244
It's off to a decent start, good to see you're working on something new. My main suggestion, at this point would be for you to try and experiment with various paving textures. I'd also suggest maybe having a go at making your own custom splines, or creating your own custom crossings/buildings in Blender? Would set your map aside from looking like most generic UK maps we've seen in the community so far. I have a basic tutorial for crossing on the London FB page, just need to create an advanced version. Good luck anyway! Nice to see you're back to map making!

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I'll be very interested to see this develop - while Hertfordshire wasn't my own cup of tea I respect that most of the issues with it can be put down to the age of the original map, and that a great number of people enjoyed it very much. Sounds like a very reasonable scope for an interesting set of routes - good luck :)

KyleOmsi2

Omsi Developer
Masterswitch Studios
Apr 30, 2017
Looking fly dude, must say it was an enjoyable drive and enjoying the developments, few things i'd suggest:
1) The terminus a Laughton Lane (i think its name is that) might work better as a turning point rather than reversing into a lane given, as to my knowledge, buses require pilot men from the depot in order to reverse legally. So maybe making a fictional turning point or roundabout might be an idea.
2) I'd probably suggest making a 2nd copy of the map and using notepad ++ To replace the outdated assets, if you need a hand i'd be happy to help with that.
Other than that tho bro, solid map thats one im looking forward to. If you need anyhing MrMoose dont hesitate to drop me a message, always happy to talk.

Advertisement

Jul 30, 2016
What normally happens, is the bus drops off, then does the reversal move - then returns - so the reversal is always passenger-less. AFAIK, buses have terminated and then turned here for the return trip for at least 20 years, and I imagine its a historical thing - and not worth the councils money to build a turning circle for.

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
As far as I'm led to believe, the general rule is that a bus can reverse anywhere albeit with guidance, apart from in designated areas (such as bus depots, stations, termini, etc) where no such guidance is required. This may be operator-specific, but it's what I've seen happen in practice.

KyleOmsi2

Omsi Developer
Masterswitch Studios
Apr 30, 2017
Not true, there is many bus routes in the country where turning points include reversing, and do so without any need of a pilot, if this was illegal, I doubt it'd be done on such a large scale :)
As far as I'm led to believe, the general rule is that a bus can reverse anywhere albeit with guidance, apart from in designated areas (such as bus depots, stations, termini, etc) where no such guidance is required. This may be operator-specific, but it's what I've seen happen in practice.

Often referred to as a "pilot man" while buses can reverse in termini such as Lincoln Bus Station for example, they are still in an area where reversing without supervisory guidance is indeed illegal. Also if cars meet buses head on or a circumstance on Road Running Traffic comes to a head with a bus it is illegal for the bus to reverse and is to be reported to a depot. Unless this has been changed in the past 2 years since i left Stagecoach 2 years ago as this was the case during my tenure as Health and Safety Rep.

Reactions: RS1995

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
Fairly sure there isn't a law against as Stagecoach have been reversing double-deckers mid-route (i.e. not at a terminus) on normal roads near me for years, without a banksman or offloading passengers. It's Stagecoach Chesterfield route 82 and the location is Google Maps Charlesworth Street.

However, many operators specify not to reverse with passengers abroad or without a banksman. Now let's get back on topic please chaps :)

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
A drive through Gainsborough - produced by @Eamons85

(Please note the map is currently in Alpha stages - many areas still have details to add, and some objects are place holders, so the final version may look different!)

It looks decent. After watching the video, I think my feedback does still stand from my last point, but what I will add, is that the pedestrians do need somewhere to cross, at a large number of intersections, seen in the video. Maybe spend a lot more time constructing the base of the map? Parts of it does seem a bit rushed and the map does look very flat.

I’d still suggest looking into making your own buildings, I understand that some are placeholders. But watching through Eamon’s video, you want your map to give the user the impression of them actually travelling through different towns, as opposed to many objects repeating themselves several times. Plus your map is based on real life. You want your map to actually simulate Gainsborough.

Good luck anyway. Hopefully my feedback can be somewhat useful.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread