[FSX] NGX v Airbus X (1 Viewer)

NGX or Airbus X?

• Total voters
Hi there,
So I'm looking into addon aircraft, and realistically, there are 2 that jump out. One is the Aerosoft Airbus A32x package, and the other being the Precise Manuals (PMDG) 737NGX. Both seem incredibly detailed, and while the NGX seems more system 'intense', the 'bus is meant to be just as good. Any opinions? I can pick up both for around the same price, so it really does come down to quality and feel. I'm more likely to do smaller, 'hopper' flights, so I could ideally do with something that feels best suited for that purpose.
Many thanks,
Jacob

D

Deleted member 2523

I own the Airbus and, (although my opinion may be biased towards Airbus because I actually love the A320 family in general), I honestly believe the Airbus to be the better. Can't say I've tried the PMDG737 but I know its good and is immensely brilliant.

The Airbus gives you so much for what you pay for, and I too enjoy these "hopper" flights. The Airbus takes so much weight off of your shoulders with the Automatic Co-Pilot feature and checklist features. It also has the Mobile MCDU thing which allows you to program the flight into the plane from your phone... which is truly brilliant.

However, I have been told that because of the way the Airbus operates, good knowledge of the systems is required to fly it properly. But it's my favourite anyway.

Also, another quick tip, if you do happen to choose the Airbus, make sure you download it with your Antivirus and Firewalls SWITCHED OFF. This is simply because a DLL file for the MCDU will be blocked by them and although it shows up on your computer... there is absolutely no data inside of it, so you wont be able to use the left MCDU (the important one :P)

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Jacobthebus

Advertisement

Feb 4, 2017
Hi there,
So I'm looking into addon aircraft, and realistically, there are 2 that jump out. One is the Aerosoft Airbus A32x package, and the other being the Precise Manuals (PMDG) 737NGX. Both seem incredibly detailed, and while the NGX seems more system 'intense', the 'bus is meant to be just as good. Any opinions? I can pick up both for around the same price, so it really does come down to quality and feel. I'm more likely to do smaller, 'hopper' flights, so I could ideally do with something that feels best suited for that purpose.
Many thanks,
Jacob
I've tried both, I'd definitely go for the 737, it's definitely the one I enjoyed the most. Airbus X isn't at the same level study sim as the PMDG aircraft. If it's simplicity, go for the Airbus X. They have a co-pilot which essentially does all the checks for you, which is kinda cool, and pretty quick way of getting around learning systems. But system complexity, immersion and realism, for me it's the 737.
I'm biased towards the Boeing, I prefer the FMC layout they have, as well as the flow and cockpit layout. In terms of quality, PMDG wins hands down in terms of system simulation, I remember Airbus X was sort of a decent stop-gap until the FlightSim Labs A320 came out. In terms of likability, I find the 737 much more of a pilots aircraft, with switches, and knobs rather than the A320's push buttons, as well as being more enjoyable to fly. The 320 just feels very sterile.
For some reason me and Airbus didn't really see eye to eye, I found it was sometimes a little buggy. But that was a little while ago now, so perhaps they've fixed errors. I joined Virtual Ryanair, to get real life routes, and I can't be happier. I've stuck to the PMDG 737 because for me it's as complex or as simple as I want it to be. Of course, PMDG also has the option for service-based failures, so the longer you fly the aircraft the more likely you are to have a failure of sorts [always keeps things interesting], whats more Ryanair has some really odd airports which don't have ILS facilities, so its either visual or VOR approaches.
Plus, at the moment there is a great YouTube channel called FlightDeck2Sim, he's a real world Ryanair pilot who makes really good tutorials on real procedures in the PMDG 737.

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
The A320 is a lot easier to operate than the 737, it's got a lot more automation and everything is more logical, but that also means there is less for you to do. PMDG's 737 simulation is more in-depth than Aerosoft's A320 but that is reflected in the price. Also if you want to move from FSX to P3D in the future then PMDG forces a complete repurchase whereas Aerosoft don't. And PMDG make you pay for different 737 variants whereas Aerosoft offer a bundle.

So in terms of value the Aerosoft A320 wins hands down. I think a lot of it will be down to personal preference on how the real aircraft systems work.

There is of course a third way: FS Labs. Their A320 simulation is probably the most in-depth simulation of any airliner short of a Level-D full-motion simulator but this costs even more than the PMDG 737 and is hugely resource intensive too.

Personally I think there's more fun to be had in smaller regional airliners such as the Majestic Q400 and PMDG J41 but they're perhaps not ideal for beginners as the workload is a lot higher.

The A320 is a lot easier to operate than the 737, it's got a lot more automation and everything is more logical, but that also means there is less for you to do. PMDG's 737 simulation is more in-depth than Aerosoft's A320 but that is reflected in the price. Also if you want to move from FSX to P3D in the future then PMDG forces a complete repurchase whereas Aerosoft don't. And PMDG make you pay for different 737 variants whereas Aerosoft offer a bundle.

So in terms of value the Aerosoft A320 wins hands down. I think a lot of it will be down to personal preference on how the real aircraft systems work.

There is of course a third way: FS Labs. Their A320 simulation is probably the most in-depth simulation of any airliner short of a Level-D full-motion simulator but this costs even more than the PMDG 737 and is hugely resource intensive too.

Personally I think there's more fun to be had in smaller regional airliners such as the Majestic Q400 and PMDG J41 but they're perhaps not ideal for beginners as the workload is a lot higher.
You and your Turbo-Props xD...I must say I love turbo-props just as much, I just find the Q400s interface (and Airbus' FMC) a lot harder to use, especially from the off.

I think it'll be the NGX for now, thanks for everyone's input :)

AdventureRock123

Transportation and simulation is key!
Nov 14, 2016
United Kingdom
steamcommunity.com
why i have been asking that question to myself
I first purchased Aerosoft Airbus X thinking it would help me get into bigger short hauling which it did after a 2 day constant study of the aircraft. When i got PMDG about 1 or 2 years afterwards it took longer because i had no idea about the "Stndby power -> grnd power -> apu -> etc" whereas in Airbus X they have conveniently put a mini FS2Crew to jumpstart your progress which makes it 10 Times more easier than PMDG already. Airbus planning is 100x better than PMDG because in Airbus they have given you a fuel plannning software (very useful) which you can also import to your aircraft straight away however with PMDG you have to rely on either old internet sources or PFPX (a bit expensive). In terms of looks to the aircraft i felt the Aerosoft had more shine to it whereas PMDG had detail put into it (especially with some liveries with "100%" detail thing). Another factor is the price, PMDG costs about £60+ (depending on sales) whilst if you go by JUSTFLIGHT's bundle you can get 4 Airbus X for half the price which is noice for people who have a budget like me. Bearing in mind you have to pay for AIRRAC'S everytime they update it unless you dont mind flying with older data which i dont to be honest. PMDG's only thing i hate is its decent planning. whilst Aerosoft Airbus you follow a dot which perfectly gets you on the ground no problem but in PMDG NGX your more likely to have to change your cruising altitude, decent path, N1 LIMIT, or just ever manually v/s until you capture the VOR or ILS

i have somewhat no knowledge if what im saying is bad is what im doing wrong if so pls PM me i'd die for more knowledge xD
overall Aerosoft's Airbus is affordable and easy and PMDG is more advanced

why i have been asking that question to myself
I first purchased Aerosoft Airbus X thinking it would help me get into bigger short hauling which it did after a 2 day constant study of the aircraft. When i got PMDG about 1 or 2 years afterwards it took longer because i had no idea about the "Stndby power -> grnd power -> apu -> etc" whereas in Airbus X they have conveniently put a mini FS2Crew to jumpstart your progress which makes it 10 Times more easier than PMDG already. Airbus planning is 100x better than PMDG because in Airbus they have given you a fuel plannning software (very useful) which you can also import to your aircraft straight away however with PMDG you have to rely on either old internet sources or PFPX (a bit expensive). In terms of looks to the aircraft i felt the Aerosoft had more shine to it whereas PMDG had detail put into it (especially with some liveries with "100%" detail thing). Another factor is the price, PMDG costs about £60+ (depending on sales) whilst if you go by JUSTFLIGHT's bundle you can get 4 Airbus X for half the price which is noice for people who have a budget like me. Bearing in mind you have to pay for AIRRAC'S everytime they update it unless you dont mind flying with older data which i dont to be honest. PMDG's only thing i hate is its decent planning. whilst Aerosoft Airbus you follow a dot which perfectly gets you on the ground no problem but in PMDG NGX your more likely to have to change your cruising altitude, decent path, N1 LIMIT, or just ever manually v/s until you capture the VOR or ILS

i have somewhat no knowledge if what im saying is bad is what im doing wrong if so pls PM me i'd die for more knowledge xD
overall Aerosoft's Airbus is affordable and easy and PMDG is more advanced
I bought the NGX based on the fact that it seemed a much more detailed aircraft, with more features and usability. I think the NGX is a more hands on, grease and metal, flying experience, while the Airbus is a fancy computer. Just my opinion, but that's why I went with the NGX. SimBrief (as recommended to me) is a fabulous planning service, and includes pretty much everything you need, including any fuel calculations.

Advertisement

AdventureRock123

Transportation and simulation is key!
Nov 14, 2016
United Kingdom
steamcommunity.com
My memories of the NGX VNAV:
"MORE DRAG" *puts on frock*
tell me about it

I bought the NGX based on the fact that it seemed a much more detailed aircraft, with more features and usability. I think the NGX is a more hands on, grease and metal, flying experience, while the Airbus is a fancy computer. Just my opinion, but that's why I went with the NGX. SimBrief (as recommended to me) is a fabulous planning service, and includes pretty much everything you need, including any fuel calculations.
i use simbrief myself - all this time i didnt realise it was for fuel planning xDDDDD. GL HF on your NGX experience

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
SimBrief generates a full OFP (Operating Flight Plan) which will include a specified load (ZFW), routing, estimated time and fuel at each waypoint, METAR/weather, NOTAMs (who can be arsed to read all those though); the works! However sometimes the route it generates it not great so I tend to specify my own routing and have it build an OFP off that.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread