Oct 25, 2016
North
Last edited:

Advertisement

Hullian111

EYMS Buses Really Mean Business
Aug 5, 2017
... well, where do you think?!
Update on that story: the vote failed, but Chairman Hauser is leaving.

Coast Capital Management, which holds about 10% of the FTSE 250 transport firm's shares, had been pushing for a clear-out of company directors, including Wolfhart Hauser, and an exit from its loss-making UK rail operations.

It had tabled a series of votes at an extraordinary general meeting though they failed to gather majority support despite Sky News reporting backing for the removal of Mr Hauser from fund managers Schroders and Columbia Threadneedle Investments.

Collectively - they held a combined voting power of almost 30%. Mr Hauser secured backing from 70% of those who voted.

But moments after the company declared victory, it confirmed in a further statement that Mr Hauser had decided "it was time to move on" and would not stand for re-election at the next annual meeting.

Coast told Sky News it was "pleased" by his departure and saw a more "fruitful" future ahead.

Its statement added: "We will bring forward in the near term, a programme designed to maximise shareholder value and secure a prosperous future for FirstGroup."

From a Stagecoach territory enthusiast's perspective, things still sound a little unclear. But with the recent sale of First GM's Queen's Road depot, things still aren't looking peachy for First. We'll have to wait and see what happens...

Albastru

Somebody stole my fantasy
Forum Moderator
Feb 11, 2018
Brighton & Hove, East Sussex, England
Pronouns
They/Them

Advertisement

Oct 30, 2016
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Pronouns
He/Him
First Greater Manchester's Bolton depot is being sold to Rotala lmao...

This comment on the FirstBus Enthusiasts page on Facebook should help explain the vehicle situation:
Rotala to lease 125 vehicles from First initially to service the new routes, with vehicles being replaced progressively by the Group in the next two years, leading to lower maintenance costs and fuel efficiencies.

So basically First are leasing the vehicles to Rotala but First will get to keep them in the end. I think?

Oct 30, 2016
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Pronouns
He/Him
Dear god, it's a shame First are going. They were a great company. I myself love first, and when they finally sell up in Leicester, it'll be sad times.
I highly doubt they'll sell up in Leicester. The only reason Manchester is going is because it's making the biggest loss in all of FirstGroup. The only reason Glasgow is going is because the Scottish Labour people want all of Scotland's buses to be owned by the same thing iirc.

Advertisement

LazyGuy222

Resident First Leicester Enthusiast
May 7, 2016
Leicester
I highly doubt they'll sell up in Leicester. The only reason Manchester is going is because it's making the biggest loss in all of FirstGroup. The only reason Glasgow is going is because the Scottish Labour people want all of Scotland's buses to be owned by the same thing iirc.
First is major in Leicester, but Arriva are bigger. They still are doing better than in many places across the country. I have a feeling Devon will be completely sold out next. Maybe WoE after?

Moskie

Fixing timetables brb
Jan 16, 2016
First is major in Leicester, but Arriva are bigger. They still are doing better than in many places across the country. I have a feeling Devon will be completely sold out next. Maybe WoE after?

You're a touch late considering they haven't operated in Devon for a number of years...

Besides, this isn't hunch based... First are in a lot of debt and are jettisonning businesses that are not paying their due - whether it be that they tried, or let it rot in the first place.

In the case of the First Manchester business, quite frankly (and this comes from internal experience), it's good it's going into other hands because the mess that management made of the Manchester business is abhorrent - it's left many low car ownership areas without a bus service past 9pm, and when (if) it does run, the reliability is shocking.

In the story of First Manchester, the only thing to blame is bad data management, poor planning, short-sighted decision making, mistakes made in the earlier days (Gold Service network streamlining), they didn't have a backbone when it came to unions/politics, I don't think I need to go on anymore, but the run-up to present day was an absolute sh*tshow. Trust me, it's better this way - even if it's... Rotala ????

FirstEnviro

Developer of the Studio Polygon [Redacted]
Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
WoE are profitable, Manchester were not. I doubt First will be willing to drop off WoE any time soon, plus it would be difficult to do so due to the size of the division. Manchester are being sold off because they were in masses amounts of debt which they could not climb out of.

georgeloxton02

MendipXplorer veg
Apr 20, 2018
Somerset
WoE are profitable, Manchester were not. I doubt First will be willing to drop off WoE any time soon, plus it would be difficult to do so due to the size of the division. Manchester are being sold off because they were in masses amounts of debt which they could not climb out of.
Thank goodness WoE may be staying , I can't imagine the city of Bristol full of different companies or worse stagecoach

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
First is looking to jettison loss making UK depots to rivals, then selling off the entirety of what's left of it's UK bus ops in one go or floating it as an entity independent of First Group which is refocusing on USA operations at the behest of its shareholders.

Reactions: OmniWink

Advertisement

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread