Firstbus Route Use Symbols (1 Viewer)

Hi there all,
I'm sure that you're aware that a number of Firstbus vehicles feature a symbol near the destination display, such as a golden star. I'm aware that these indicate a condition of a vehicle in terms of its previous use, but I'm not certain whether it is true, or what the different symbols mean.
I'd appreciate it if people could shed some light on this, what the different symbols are and what they mean.
Many thanks,
Jacob

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
This must be far from a common thing, most of the photos I'm seeing of First vehicles don't have destination-glass-adornments, besides "Free WiFi" and "Disabled Symbol". I am seeing several First Glasgow vehicles with them, so perhaps it's just their thing?
For example, here's a pair of gold stars:

"Maybe it means it's a high-bridge vehicle?" This doesn't look like it would have any issues with low bridges:

It's had them all its life and I can find no evidence it wasn't with First from purchase, so it's not a temporary indicator or an indication of a non-First bus...

This one has more points on its stars:

And this one is Welsh, with a dark-pink shout-bubble... again it's had it all its life, and appears to have been new to First Cymru.

And here's a big dark-pink star...

I guess this is a long-winded way to say "I don't know"?

Advertisement

JosieJump

Robloxian & Omsi Enthusiast
Banned Member
Jul 24, 2017
Back in Chester before First sold it to Stagecoach, buses with a gold star in the windscreen meant it was parked at the City Road depot. Those without were kept at 'The Rink'. Could all these stars be to do with where they are based? Some depots may share routes or buses (For routes which are ran between depots, changing drivers can be done at both depots so to help drivers know who to contact if there is a breakdown, he can say which depot the bus is from and needs to return to etc???

harry cooper

Banned Member
Jul 4, 2017
This must be far from a common thing, most of the photos I'm seeing of First vehicles don't have destination-glass-adornments, besides "Free WiFi" and "Disabled Symbol". I am seeing several First Glasgow vehicles with them, so perhaps it's just their thing?
For example, here's a pair of gold stars:

"Maybe it means it's a high-bridge vehicle?" This doesn't look like it would have any issues with low bridges:

It's had them all its life and I can find no evidence it wasn't with First from purchase, so it's not a temporary indicator or an indication of a non-First bus...

This one has more points on its stars:

And this one is Welsh, with a dark-pink shout-bubble... again it's had it all its life, and appears to have been new to First Cymru.

And here's a big dark-pink star...

I guess this is a long-winded way to say "I don't know"?

On our old Dennis Darts we had huge golden stars, maybe it means they have been refurbished? I don't see them put on buses anymore

Reactions: zebedee104

Advertisement

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
In Plymouth, back in summer 2015, the Optare Solo SE from Bude I was on had broken down (!) just opposite the bus depot and they sent I think it was an Enviro 300 or 200 as a replacement, and that was in the period where Stagecoach has just took over the First buses there, I've seen some odd looking buses!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3756/9667738582_812ce50a84_b.jpg
9667738582_812ce50a84_b.jpg

(image not mine)
Like these, only more modern and some single deck.

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
In Plymouth, back in summer 2015, the Optare Solo SE from Bude I was on had broken down (!) just opposite the bus depot and they sent I think it was an Enviro 300 or 200 as a replacement, and that was in the period where Stagecoach has just took over the First buses there, I've seen some odd looking buses!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3756/9667738582_812ce50a84_b.jpg
9667738582_812ce50a84_b.jpg

(image not mine)
Like these, only more modern and some single deck.
What do you mean, Jacobthebus with Unclear? There were just some Streetlites in First Olympia livery, because they weren't yet painted with the Stagecoach colour scheme, but the Stagecoach branding was applied.

What do you mean, Jacobthebus with Unclear? There were just some Streetlites in First Olympia livery, because they weren't yet painted with the Stagecoach colour scheme, but the Stagecoach branding was applied.
Its not just completely relevant to the subject of the thread. The thread was specifically referring to the small indication symbols that Firstbus use, and it just didn't seem relevant. Still useful information though, please don't feel offended.

Sep 24, 2016
Scotland
As far as I was aware, In Glasgow at least it was - Gold Stars were the buses that were to be kept in minted condition. 05 plate Darts in Glasgow still carry them to this day. A few of the 05 darts did leave Glasgow and I believe they still carry them

Advertisement

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread