Fernbus Simulator (1 Viewer)

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015

Just found this beta video on the upcoming Fernbus Simulator. I can't say I'm particularly impressed - I can't see any of the love in it that OMSI has. The graphics have that artificiality to them which I find it hard to suspend my disbelief for - I personally prefer OMSI's phototexture-based approach to this lighting engine dependent one, especially as the lighting engine in question isn't all that great. Physics look like the standard  (poor) fare for this kind of sim, and the keyboard controls look horrible but then that's the same for any realistic driving sim. Can't really comment on the sounds, they're too quiet to hear for the most part. They seem OK but not up there with the best of OMSI quality.

I think the graphics have some potential with careful map-making - bits of Frankfurt look quite nice - but I dislike the 'gameplay' elements like the boxes around stops, the minimap and the "Don't go this way" warnings, they really take me out of the game world.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jacobthebus
Mar 16, 2016
Saw an advert in the buses magazine for it I might get it as I like driving long distance services with a coach which OMSI does not provide yet also the checking in tickets seems a nice feature

Advertisement

Just found this beta video on the upcoming Fernbus Simulator. I can't say I'm particularly impressed - I can't see any of the love in it that OMSI has. The graphics have that artificiality to them which I find it hard to suspend my disbelief for - I personally prefer OMSI's phototexture-based approach to this lighting engine dependent one, especially as the lighting engine in question isn't all that great. Physics look like the standard  (poor) fare for this kind of sim, and the keyboard controls look horrible but then that's the same for any realistic driving sim. Can't really comment on the sounds, they're too quiet to hear for the most part. They seem OK but not up there with the best of OMSI quality.

I think the graphics have some potential with careful map-making - bits of Frankfurt look quite nice - but I dislike the 'gameplay' elements like the boxes around stops, the minimap and the "Don't go this way" warnings, they really take me out of the game world.

Thoughts?

Ugly... Though, I think if walking around in omsi was added then omsi will not be beaten.

I'm surprised you found this @whistlehead as it is aimed at the German market, with German forums and promotion.

I've been following the simulator over it's development since April and like OMSI, it has it's ups and downs. The biggest downside is it is menu based unlike OMSI where you load the map and then buses. Fernbus simulator spawns you in ready with your timetable and upon completion, back to the menu!

Reactions: whistlehead

Advertisement

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
press F11 its a bit clunky but it works

I asked the devs about this and apparently it'll be expanded on in LOTUS. I believe that the current system only works within one tile of the start point, which you can't choose the location of. Quite cool that you can climb inside buses, though - you can even go up the stairs if you're careful, there's obviously some reasonably complex collision detection going on.

Jun 29, 2016
Not surprised to be honest, I don't know why they even bother with estimated release dates-they never stick to them. Anyway, this game just takes me back to CBS2010. If you don't know what that is, then you've never experienced the full 'bus driving experience' :)  

I believe its their second or third time they've changed the release date. Yes I know what CBS2010 haven't played that in years, OMSI 2 Chicago Downtown reminds me of CBS2010

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread