Fellowsfilm Discord

Status
Not open for further replies.

helloleni

Eurovision Queen
Apr 1, 2016
It is all because the discord management structure was useless. Whenever there where arguments, there were few or not any moderators/admins online. You can't expect a server to run smoothly if there is no discipline whatsoever. If there were moderators/admins online, they were too 'scared' to do anything. I think it is a rediculous descision to make the discord server private but I have found better, friendlier servers with a better management structure now. I hope Felllowsfilms will get it's act together soon...

D

Deleted member 422

It is all because the discord management structure was useless. Whenever there where arguments, there were few or not any moderators/admins online. You can't expect a server to run smoothly if there is no discipline whatsoever. If there were moderators/admins online, they were too 'scared' to do anything. I think it is a rediculous descision to make the discord server private but I have found better, friendlier servers with a better management structure now. I hope Felllowsfilms will get it's act together soon...
To be perfectly honest, I don't think anyone can put it better than this. I think we all know its for the best :)

I think the main problem was its size, now we are mostly on smaller, private server's where it is more manageable.

Reactions: DVA_MEKA18

Bones

VersoBit Extraordinaire
Administrator
Sep 27, 2016
To be perfectly honest, I don't think anyone can put it better than this. I think we all know its for the best :)

I think the main problem was its size, now we are mostly on smaller, private server's where it is more manageable.
The Discord Server was not made private, it has been closed to everyone. The arguments that continued to happen within the Discord server is ultimately what caused our decision to shutter the server; It proves to be extremely difficult to moderate when select individuals continue to display inappropriate behaviour, purposely neg, and target other members - Which continues after hours when admin/mods go offline for sleep.

At this point I'd say that the best course of action is to focus on the forum itself and to make sure the same won't happen again.
Moving Forward, Fellowsfilm is putting our focus on the forums where we can actively moderate and enforce the required rules, and work towards building a better community for everyone.

It is unfortunate we have to say goodbye to the live chat (via discord), but there are a few individuals on the forums who are operating their own discord servers which you are free to join to engage with other community members in.

Reactions: Lakitu and Puncake
D

Deleted member 422

The Discord Server was not made private, it has been closed to everyone. The arguments that continued to happen within the Discord server is ultimately what caused our decision to shutter the server; It proves to be extremely difficult to moderate when select individuals continue to display inappropriate behaviour, purposely neg, and target other members - Which continues after hours when admin/mods go offline for sleep.

Moving Forward, Fellowsfilm is putting our focus on the forums where we can actively moderate and enforce the required rules, and work towards building a better community for everyone.

It is unfortunate we have to say goodbye to the live chat (via discord), but there are a few individuals on the forums who are operating their own discord servers which you are free to join to engage with other community members in.
I meant that after Fellowsfilm Discord has closed, members are on other server's which are smaller, and private. This makes it easier to maintain and keep at a friendly level, rather than an open server of 120+ people :P

Reactions: Danielc2525

helloleni

Eurovision Queen
Apr 1, 2016

Can you please explain this screenshot mentioning a new server? I presume 'The Slack' is private... (Fellowslothb's Post)
IMG_1580.PNG

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
Well all of our moderators are busy people and can't always be around. We're all volunteers and not employed, so we're not required to be watching for set hours each day, we help out when we can. We often felt we needed more moderators, but found that there weren't really that many people with free time, maturity and trustworthiness to be given the role of moderator. The Discord server was kept running on the hopes that people could to some extent self-moderate and/or control themselves to not get into arguments and such, but it seems that this community simply cannot do that, there must always be vicious arguments about anything vaguely controversial, these arguments must turn into insult lobbing matches and as such it became a case of looking in general to find out what drama was happening this time and what mediocre thing it had stemmed from. When we did take action people complained we weren't being fair because others had gotten away with similar things, that the staff were bullying them and we were corrupt. Every time we tried to stop drama that brewed up while we weren't looking we'd get backlash.

When inaction results in people leaving because they're being bullied or insulted by the community or are disgusted at the behaviour of some in the community and action results in those who we take action against turning their attentions towards us, the best solution is to not get involved in that situation, which unfortunately means we've closed the general Discord and indeed said Discord server is deleted for the foreseeable future.

@Arriva Buses London We've tried to keep at least some of the good that came from the Discord server going by allowing those who had shown enough maturity through being UKDT associates or were benefiting nicely from being able to seek advice from developers access to a private server where they can discuss with themselves and us to receive help and advice on what they're developing. Previously this had occurred in a private room of the Discord server, so we're just perpetuating that part of the server, which unlike General managed to get along nicely without drama.

D

DVA_MEKA18

Well all of our moderators are busy people and can't always be around. We're all volunteers and not employed, so we're not required to be watching for set hours each day, we help out when we can. We often felt we needed more moderators, but found that there weren't really that many people with free time, maturity and trustworthiness to be given the role of moderator. The Discord server was kept running on the hopes that people could to some extent self-moderate and/or control themselves to not get into arguments and such, but it seems that this community simply cannot do that, there must always be vicious arguments about anything vaguely controversial, these arguments must turn into insult lobbing matches and as such it became a case of looking in general to find out what drama was happening this time and what mediocre thing it had stemmed from. When we did take action people complained we weren't being fair because others had gotten away with similar things, that the staff were bullying them and we were corrupt. Every time we tried to stop drama that brewed up while we weren't looking we'd get backlash.

When inaction results in people leaving because they're being bullied or insulted by the community or are disgusted at the behaviour of some in the community and action results in those who we take action against turning their attentions towards us, the best solution is to not get involved in that situation, which unfortunately means we've closed the general Discord and indeed said Discord server is deleted for the foreseeable future.

@Arriva Buses London We've tried to keep at least some of the good that came from the Discord server going by allowing those who had shown enough maturity through being UKDT associates or were benefiting nicely from being able to seek advice from developers access to a private server where they can discuss with themselves and us to receive help and advice on what they're developing. Previously this had occurred in a private room of the Discord server, so we're just perpetuating that part of the server, which unlike General managed to get along nicely without drama.
I really hope that wasn't aimed at me or others?

HJALMAR

Dec 19, 2016
It was aimed towards everyone as a whole.
You can read the disappointment in between the lines which tells me that the passion and genuine excitement was there. So all in all the effort was decent and still this was the outcome.

helloleni

Eurovision Queen
Apr 1, 2016
That is all well and good if nobody else volunteered to be a moderator. If you could see how much time I, as well as many other members who were willing to take on the role spent in that server. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning him but @Kieron was punished for stepping in when no moderator would. I think that was a poor judgement as he did your job better than most of the moderation team could. Another member has been continually heckled by the staff team. The fact you would rather do that that discipline those who have done wrong is highly hypocritical. I think that there should be at least a days trial with a completely different moderation team to show how effectively both the forums, and a discord server, would run. The main problem is not currently trouble makers, but in fact the staff themselves. @Bones has made a great example of this now when I mentioned a private server. He told me that there is not one until I gave evidence against this point.
Thank you for the great 11 months that I have spent here, but until an improvement has been made, I will be coming no where near this site.

D

DVA_MEKA18

That is all well and good if nobody else volunteered to be a moderator. If you could see how much time I, as well as many other members who were willing to take on the role spent in that server. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning him but @Kieron was punished for stepping in when no moderator would. I think that was a poor judgement as he did your job better than most of the moderation team could. Another member has been continually heckled by the staff team. The fact you would rather do that that discipline those who have done wrong is highly hypocritical. I think that there should be at least a days trial with a completely different moderation team to show how effectively both the forums, and a discord server, would run. The main problem is not currently trouble makers, but in fact the staff themselves. @Bones has made a great example of this now when I mentioned a private server. He told me that there is not one until I gave evidence against this point.
Thank you for the great 11 months that I have spent here, but until an improvement has been made, I will be coming no where near this site.
People did volunteer to be mods the staff weren't interested though I tried many off times and was put down with no reason but I completely 100% agree with that however take this in mind that bones is a server admin so he always so busy with the server he cant

Bones

VersoBit Extraordinaire
Administrator
Sep 27, 2016
That is all well and good if nobody else volunteered to be a moderator. If you could see how much time I, as well as many other members who were willing to take on the role spent in that server. I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning him but @Kieron was punished for stepping in when no moderator would. I think that was a poor judgement as he did your job better than most of the moderation team could. Another member has been continually heckled by the staff team. The fact you would rather do that that discipline those who have done wrong is highly hypocritical.
Far from hypocritical, It states directly in the rules that "Backseat Moderation" is not allowed and will not be tolerated, Rules that were on the forums applied on discord, and members continued to void the rules, not much we can do about that other than take the server down.

The main problem is not currently trouble makers, but in fact the staff themselves. @Bones has made a great example of this now when I mentioned a private server. He told me that there is not one until I gave evidence against this point.
A private server would imply all members could get access by being a member; technically what we had before with the discord (needing to verify to get access). Our Slack page is for our own operations and ukdt related chatter, nothing more.

You're more than welcome for the time you spent here, and we are working towards improvements; We do hope to see you around if you decide to stay.

D

DVA_MEKA18

Far from hypocritical, It states directly in the rules that "Backseat Moderation" is not allowed and will not be tolerated, Rules that were on the forums applied on discord, and members continued to void the rules, not much we can do about that other than take the server down.
I would just like to say that before January 27th No they didn't only after you got MEE6 that said the rules they did?

Bones

VersoBit Extraordinaire
Administrator
Sep 27, 2016
I would just like to say that before January 27th No they didn't only after you got MEE6 that said the rules they did?
Back in december when I started the verification system, It was stated repeatedly over and over again by not only myself, but moderators. Not only did we state it, but it was also in the rooms general topic.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
Nope, the Discord was an extension of the forums. The forum rules have always applied there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.