Fellowsfilm Discord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fellowslothb

Founder of Fellowsfilm Studios
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
By now most of you will have already noticed that the Discord server has been closed to all new replies.

This is so we can give the Discord a huge overhaul to the way in which it is run and managed.
If you have a suggestion on things we can add or improve, please post it here :)

EDIT 2017-02-14: The Discord is now closed until further notice, with no plans to re-open it anytime soon. This is simply because people couldn't behave themselves; we felt that it simply wasn't beneficial for the community for the server to continue and allow the fast-paced transmission of hatred and insults to and from members of the community. The moderators are volunteers and did not want to have to spend all of their free time moderating the Discord so that it could continue.
You are free to join other Discord communities, but remember that they have nothing whatsoever to do with us, we do not control them and you are also free to leave them at any time you do not feel welcome.

You may here words spoken about a Fellowsfilm Slack channel. This is a thing that exists, but entry is strictly by invite only. This Slack was created primarily to allow the moderators to discuss things together; however there exists a "public" channel of this that allows moderators, UKDT members and chosen developers (those we feel are mature and sensible) to chat and work together, thus allowing everyone to learn and improve their skills. This was something that had been happening in not-fully-public channels of the Discord anyway, and we felt it was really the sole beneficial part of the Discord as it stood.

BML_Atkinson

Apr 1, 2016
I think we should have a dedicated team of Discord moderators, so the current moderation team isn't spread out. They have a seperate spokesperson, likethe current mod team has Chris, have a sub manager.

HJALMAR

Dec 19, 2016
To me its a question of not being afraid to take in swift action. Its an instant message type service which require more immediate moderation so it is important that quick action is being done regardless of the moderation needed. People don't seem to have much brain activity sometimes when they post in these chat services since communication is instant. So why hold up to the same level of refrain in moderation compared to a forum? Of course over exaggeration is not advised.

D

Deleted member 422

The problem I find, is that the Discord used to be a light-hearted atmosphere where people could talk to each other, have a little joke about controversial subjects etc and no one took it too seriously. However, then more and more people started joining, and some of the jokes got taken a little bit too far. Now it is a base for racism, ofending people, direct insults are fairly often seen.

Not meaning to be a b**ch but, I have never actually seen Jamie step in at any point to stop things. On the same note, the other moderator's ain't just gonna sit there and stare at the messages, and they are often doing something else, and so things get missed. So I am also recommending @BML_Atkinson point over having a dedicated team for it.

Another thing I keep seeing, is that when something against the rules is posted, a moderator just comes in and types !rules instead of taking action when people do it over and over again. If it's integrated with the forums, than moderators need to be a little more comfortable giving out warning points.

Lastly, as all this has been happening, people have started to create privete Discords, for select people only. Ash probably knows this though :P And many people have completely given up on the FellowsFIlm server to move to these, so I doubt you will ever be able to re-create that original atmosphere.

These of course are my personal thoughts, so they made sound a little different from what others think. However I am sure you are trying to get it right.

Regards,
Kieron

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
Staff Team Leader
Forum Moderator
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Dec 10, 2015
We have every intention of introducing a Discord specific staff team, and have done for some time now.

However, the issue remains that in order to do so we need to find people who we can trust to rapidly pass fair judgement and who have the time and commitment to moderate the chatroom, as it very quickly becomes a very wearing task. If we had found these people, rest assured that we would've brought them in by now.

You may have noticed over the past few months that we've been trying multiple different methods of keeping on top of the Discord, and have as yet been unable to contain it appropriately.

I'd also like to point out that we have been remarkably lenient with our moderation techniques thus far, and if we were to have enforced a truly zero tolerance policy we would have ended up banning some significant portion of our user base some time ago.

It's a shame, as it creates a great medium for people to discuss and share ideas, but some people consistently insist on abusing their privileges.

Last edited:

ross4122

Scottish Vyking Veg
Staff Team Leader
Content Control
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
How about you can only access the Discord server if you're
  • staff
  • noted developer
  • invited by staff
  • or donator?
That way, it'd be much better to keep on top of things. Earning the Discord would be a privilege, as part of your other commitment to your work.

I also like the idea of a Discord-only moderation team, that way, they can keep on top of things whilst the original moderators can focus on the forums and it's issues.

Rob_Devs

All time legend/Salisbury Reds Driver
Jan 29, 2016
One problem that is probably a thing is that, the moderation team / admins are too scared to use the powers they have to stop preventing things like this from happening. One thing i wasnt sure of why Joe was removed from Junior Moderator? Ok, im a newbie to the whole discord / forum / Junior UKDT but one thing that did confuse me was why was a application for discord moderation/ forum moderation and nothing was seen from it? Im all for the discord server because without it, i wouldnt have met the people who i have today. Going to ross's point about it being open for developers, then surely people would just say that they are developing something when they arent, just as a way of getting into discord?

simulatorguy101

Custom Content Creator
Apr 5, 2016
So, I think we should keep the Discord server open to all, it's an integral part of the UKDT and the fellowsfilm forums. I do like the idea of having a dedicated discord moderation team because ultimately that way things can be kept an eye on without the admins being stretched to their already rather large limits. People have met friends from this discord server. One of the biggest problems I found was failure to take action. I think there needs to be a concrete rule system in place that is adhered to no matter what, something such as:

- No Racism or Sexism or any kind
- No political chat
- No swearing
- Respect others
- Breech of rules will first result in 3 warnings by an admin and after that then a 1 week ban, 1 month ban and then finally a permanent ban (With no exceptions).

Overall, I think closing the server is a very bad idea.

Jamie

May 23, 2016
The problem I find, is that the Discord used to be a light-hearted atmosphere where people could talk to each other, have a little joke about controversial subjects etc and no one took it too seriously. However, then more and more people started joining, and some of the jokes got taken a little bit too far. Now it is a base for racism, ofending people, direct insults are fairly often seen.

Not meaning to be a b**ch but, I have never actually seen Jamie step in at any point to stop things. On the same note, the other moderator's ain't just gonna sit there and stare at the messages, and they are often doing something else, and so things get missed. So I am also recommending @BML_Atkinson point over having a dedicated team for it.

Another thing I keep seeing, is that when something against the rules is posted, a moderator just comes in and types !rules instead of taking action when people do it over and over again. If it's integrated with the forums, than moderators need to be a little more comfortable giving out warning points.

Lastly, as all this has been happening, people have started to create privete Discords, for select people only. Ash probably knows this though :tongueout: And many people have completely given up on the FellowsFIlm server to move to these, so I doubt you will ever be able to re-create that original atmosphere.

These of course are my personal thoughts, so they made sound a little different from what others think. However I am sure you are trying to get it right.

Regards,
Kieron
Good evening Kieron. As you know I am the only Discord Mod. Although I do keep an eye on the server I can't be there all the time. I have a personal life. I have stepped in on previous situations and issues kicks before to users who were not following rules.

Jacobthebus

Weeeeeeeeeee
Mar 7, 2016
Good evening Kieron. As you know I am the only Discord Mod. Although I do keep an eye on the server I can't be there all the time. I have a personal life. I have stepped in on previous situations and issues kicks before to users who were not following rules.
And that is why we need more Discord moderators. The more the merrier, and I'm sure other people have got just as much time as you to sort the odd thing out.

Reactions: BML_Atkinson

simulatorguy101

Custom Content Creator
Apr 5, 2016
More Discord moderators are needed! Also for people to join the Discord they should have a certain amount of posts or amount of likes they have?
You could set it up like a verified tag, and new members have to be approved by one of the Discord mods (i.e. the mods have to give that role) so when they join they can only see one room such as welcome, explaining everything and if someone needs to be muted if you will quickly, you could just remove the approved role, restricting access.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
That is exactly the situation as it stands. New members only see #welcome, then are asked to give their forum account name/url (so we can check things like shared IPs) before gaining the "Verified" tag and being able to see and chat in other chats but not #welcome. This was put in place when the bot was removed a little while ago. It nicely catches people before they have a chance to spam anywhere. I've suggested requirements like having to be a member for 24 hours and/or having to have made at least one post before even seeing the Discord server so as to catch or deter more spammers too, but that's not yet put in place. We also have a "Timeout" tag which can be issued to someone to prevent them from chatting in the event that we need to shut someone up without having to kick them from the server.

A

Admin

Just as a note, it's now two weeks on and there are still significant issues on the Discord server. Therefore, we've made the decision to bring it to a close today.

The Discord will be permanently deleted at midnight tonight, so please gather anything you need from there before then.

Reactions: Lakitu

Do'er of administrative things
Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
Because people can't be trusted. Boils down to something that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.