Dev Tutorial [Editor] Aerial Imagery

• Unfortunately as part of our ongoing site upgrades we have had to remove our support for linking external Steam accounts. If you are unable to login using Steam, please use the username/email address associated with your account to request a new password to login with here.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
To aid with building highly-accurate real maps, OMSI 2 can display aerial imagery onto tiles so that the map can be built with everything aligned correctly. For the aerial imagery to work, your map must be using real-world coordinates.

The first step to using Aerial Imagery in the OMSI Editor is to go into /OMSI 2/maps/ and create a folder called aerials. Then copy the name of your map's folder exactly and create a folder within aerials with the same name. You'll end up with something like /OMSI 2/maps/aerials/Grundorf/.

Now we need to tell OMSI where to look online to find the aerial imagery. To do this, you need to edit the options.cfg file in the main OMSI 2 directory. Right at the bottom of the file is the tag:
Code:
[Editor_LinkAerial]
Under it a link should exist for the site that distributes the aerial images OMSI will download, but by default it is not set. There are several links available that work here:
Code:
http://aerial.gcmods.de/toquad.php?x=~x&y=~y&z=~z - Bing imagery
http://aerial.gcmods.de/toquad.php?x=~x&y=~y&z=~z&service=google - Google imagery
http://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/~z/~x/~y.png - Streetmap imagery
Paste one of these directly below the tag, save the file and then load the Editor. To display the images in the Editor, go to the tile tab and check the "Use tile aerials" option:
upload_2016-9-17_14-46-15.png
The resolution of the above links is limited to 256px for each, so leave the slider at the bottom and click "Dnl. current Tile". This will download a jpg image (stored in the directory you created earlier) and apply it to the tile you're on. As the images are stored locally on your computer, they will now appear each time the tile aerials are activated without having to redownload them. It's also possible to change the link after downloading some images and then download some other tiles with a different mapping style if you want to mix mapping types.

You'll probably find that the 256px imagery leaves rather a lot to be desired in terms of detail, but luckily it is possible to "activate" the higher resolutions of the Bing mapping by following a few more steps. To do this, you'll need to go to the Bing Maps Dev Center and sign in with a Microsoft account. Then, go to the My Keys section and create a new Basic/Not-For-Profit key. Going back into the options.cfg file, you'll instead want to use this link, replacing "[YourAPICode]" with the key you just created:
Code:
http://aerial.gcmods.de/toquad.php?x=~x&y=~y&z=~z&apicode=[YourAPICode]
Imagery can then be downloaded up to 2048px square (although the higher resolutions take much longer to download, so you may wish to use 512/1024px images except in high-detail areas where you need a higher resolution. :)

Last edited:
D

DVA_MEKA18

I tried it and it didnt work not sure if i did something wrong?

Costar1198

Some guy from Croydon innit
Mar 30, 2016
I think you need "load whole map at start" checked, wouldn't work for me otherwise. did you do that?

ross4122

Scottish Vyking Veg
Staff Team Leader
Content Control
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Did you get any errors?

Lakitu

Prepare for trouble! Make it double!
Content Control
Jan 1, 1970
You did convert to world co-ordinates? Also be aware this only works when building a map from scratch, converting an existing map to world co-ordinates will delete all the objects and splines afaik.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
Administrator
UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
Which link are you trying to use? Are you sure you've copied it correctly?

D

Deleted member 422

I guess this is screaming at me "Oi, you've done something wrong!....
upload_2017-6-3_19-27-48.png