Maps Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Around a year ago I done a little bit of work on a recreation of the 6 route in Edinburgh for OMSI however I lost that due to hard drive failure and the route was also withdrawn. So I'm back now working on a portion of the number 10 route (to start off with). I've only been working on it for a few days and I definitely need to make more custom buildings but I'm focusing on getting main junctions and routing done then I will retiterate over the map and detail it alot more. But enough explaining. Let's get into the proper details.

The initial route will be the 10 from Western Harbour to Elm Row (which is only part of the whole route).

Pictures

Great Junction Street / Ocean Drive / A901 Crossing

9b1580071a.jpg

Leith Sands / A901 Crossing

35b10ce55d.jpg

Western Harbor Terminus

u7YsRGP.jpg

iBuU6et.jpg

Coming down Newhaven Place

SYgPcyX.jpg

NThAXyL.jpg

Turning from Newhaven Place onto Lindsay Road (A901)

nPBE6Cb.jpg

I'll be updating with more screenshots once the crossing at Great Junction street and everything inbetween is finished up a bit more.

Reactions: Rhys
Jul 29, 2016
Looks like a decent start there Toby, one thing I will suggest though however is that you should probably update the road and pavement textures to those included in either the iomexLH pack or with Cotterell. It does look quite Germanic at the moment, but you'll notice a difference after updating the textures. I'm not familiar with Edinburgh, so all else I can say is best of luck!

Advertisement

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Yeah before you do too much else I'd replace your textures with the O3D pack texture and then use Road hogs markings to make it all nice. Good start though, interesting to see you are modelling your junction in blender instead of invisible junction objects.

Looks like a decent start there Toby, one thing I will suggest though however is that you should probably update the road and pavement textures to those included in either the iomexLH pack or with Cotterell. It does look quite Germanic at the moment, but you'll notice a difference after updating the textures. I'm not familiar with Edinburgh, so all else I can say is best of luck!

Yeah before you do too much else I'd replace your textures with the O3D pack texture and then use Road hogs markings to make it all nice. Good start though, interesting to see you are modelling your junction in blender instead of invisible junction objects.

I'll replace the textures, the iomex ones to me didn't look quite right but I'll poke around and find some that do.

I will have to start making normal junctions aka no traffic lights with objects because it does take a lot of time and I can probably achieve near same resuits just with objects.

Thasks for the feedback :)

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Not too sure if I like that to be honest. The pavement textures are incorrect and the junction asphalt texture looks a bit wonky. There also seems to be an overload of pedestrians, however I'm not sure if thats realistic or not?

Not too sure if I like that to be honest. The pavement textures are incorrect and the junction asphalt texture looks a bit wonky. There also seems to be an overload of pedestrians, however I'm not sure if thats realistic or not?

Yeah I notice the junction asphalt and I don't see what I've done but I'll try to fix it and the pavements are an issue because I can't find a texture that I like and looks realistic to Edinburgh.

The pedestrians seem to like it though as you mentioned :P

Advertisement

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
It's great that you're making junctions properly - although I'd recommend not integrating the markings with the model - use RoadHog's surface markings as they're accurate and can be altered easily at will.

PS - textures.com is a great resource

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great that you're making junctions properly - although I'd recommend not integrating the markings with the model - use RoadHog's surface markings as they're accurate and can be altered easily at will.

I've removed the markings from the model, I'll take a look at the road hog ones now.

I agree, a mixture of pavement_mid (tiled pavement) and pavement_low (plain tarmac) seems to be the best way to go mate.

Try using iomex's pavement_mid texture. You can find it in his iomexLH\Texture folder

Done that. I've used the mid on the left hand side coming from Lindsay Road because in reality it's like that and continues up Great Junction Street that way for some time. And low for the rest.

View attachment 3610

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
The colouring issue is due to mesh smoothing, as you may be aware. What I tend to be with object junctions is to export them with no smoothing, it means the vertical faces of the kerbs don't get smoothed on corners, but it does mean that there are never any smoothing artefacts.
vI3uoZ7.png
 It's looking very promising, I'm sure with each junction they'll get closer and closer to the real thing.
vI3uoZ7.png

The colouring issue is due to mesh smoothing, as you may be aware. What I tend to be with object junctions is to export them with no smoothing, it means the vertical faces of the kerbs don't get smoothed on corners, but it does mean that there are never any smoothing artefacts.
vI3uoZ7.png
 It's looking very promising, I'm sure with each junction they'll get closer and closer to the real thing.
vI3uoZ7.png

Hmm... I actually found some duplicate edges in blender with faces in-between lanes and removing them fixed most of my issues, although I'll look at the smoothing as well.

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread