E200 MMC Repaint Template Issues (1 Viewer)

tr673

I'm a Scania
Apr 19, 2017
Notts or Lincs...
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone,
I keep coming across several annoying issues with the repaint template on the E200 MMC. Can anyone who is better at repainting the MMC than me point out where I'm going wrong?
Sure, it's a lovely bus, but it's so baffling trying to repaint it. I thought the PDF manual might offer some help, but it doesn't mention anything to do with repainting except setvars.

First and foremost, on the default repaints the mirror brackets, positions of lights, CCTV cameras and a lot of other detail is contained in the grey/black areas, as shown in this screenshot of one of the demo livery repaints:
1default.png

But when I'm trying to create a repaint, that detail is missing:
(look at where it's supposed to say ENVIRO 200 - it's just a grey box)
1repaint.png

Now I'm pretty certain it has something to do with the layers and layer settings in Paint.net, yet whatever order I put each layer in or which ones I set to 'multiply', nothing ever works properly.
In this instance most of it is fine but all the detail (mirrors, brackets etc) are missing. I was hoping to paint the mirrors yellow but can't even see where they are:
2normal.png

After messing around a little, I was able to see the detail, but the black wheel arches and windows had gone translucent (you can see where I've painted blue), plus the metal surrounds for the fuel and adblue fillers had disappeared:
2multiply.png

Now that's my main problem here since that's the one bugging me most right now.

The second problem is that it's a real pain to get things to line up where the side textures meet the rear, especially on more complex liveries where each colour isn't conveniently aligned with the body panel edges. On buses like the C400 and ALX400 the side and rear are right next to each other making it quite easy to see what lines up, but with this bus I'm having to go through a lot more trial-and-error to get things matching. What's the best way to get things to line up?
(for example in the blue & white livery above, I want the blue on the roof to go seamlessly from the sides to the rear, but there is literally nothing there to indicate what height to position the blue stripe at the rear)

The other problem I'm having is figuring out where the bus ends and the unused 'background space' starts. On a few liveries I've done I've ended up with a white line down the centre of the roof, or around the edges of the rear end because I didn't realise the texture for the rear wrapped around onto the sides a little. It's bad enough on the 11.5 but it's even harder to figure out on the 8.9m version.

Is anyone else having more luck than me trying to figure all this out?

Solution
I've uploaded a correctly setup and easier to use repaint template for the bus here: Enviro 200 MMC Repaint Templates
thanks - I'm using that now, it's making it a lot easier to repaint!
You want your paint layer on the bottom set to normal, the grey mask layer (mmc200_89_body - colour.png) above it also set to normal, and the AO layer (mmc200_89_body.png) on top set to multiply.

You can add another normal layer on the top with the UV map (mmc200_89_body_uv.png), it shows the how the mesh of the bus is mapped onto the texture, allowing you to align your paint with the details of the bus.
again thanks, I'll rearrange the layers on the repaints I've already made to save having to make them again...

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
You want your paint layer on the bottom set to normal, the grey mask layer (mmc200_89_body - colour.png) above it also set to normal, and the AO layer (mmc200_89_body.png) on top set to multiply.

You can add another normal layer on the top with the UV map (mmc200_89_body_uv.png), it shows the how the mesh of the bus is mapped onto the texture, allowing you to align your paint with the details of the bus.

Nov 14, 2016

im having an issue with windows, i have done the layer correctly but they show up black, any ideas?

Advertisement

tr673

I'm a Scania
Apr 19, 2017
Notts or Lincs...
www.flickr.com
I've uploaded a correctly setup and easier to use repaint template for the bus here: Enviro 200 MMC Repaint Templates
thanks - I'm using that now, it's making it a lot easier to repaint!

again thanks, I'll rearrange the layers on the repaints I've already made to save having to make them again with @Sambob_12's template.

Solution
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread