Double Clutching and Extra Transmissions! (1 Viewer)

Maybe it was already implemented in ETS2 and didn't notice, but in ATS they added in an advanced option of transmission that involves double clutching! No luck getting the gears to float but will still mess around with it, really glad they brought it in! They also added in the Eaton Fuller patterns for the 10, 13 and 18 speeds.

...Quick jobs keeps sending me the 18 speeds :p

Advertisement

I hate floating gears, I know in games they do no damage, but in a real truck you can ruin a transmission faster by floating gear, I try to avoid it.

Though some might argue it doesn't damage it as much as normal double clutching, but when you look at all the maintainence records that I do, you pick up on these things.

Jul 31, 2014
I love it, but...

Kkrrrrrrrggggg!!!

Seriously though, it just doesn't really work... IRL you can feel when you can shift out/in gear, but you can't ingame.
In fact, tried to float the gears today in my pickup (small old Fiat Strada diesel). I got it out of gear no problem. Just push on the stick a little, let of the gas and it popped out. Though I couldn't get it into the next gear though... And it doesn't have an RPM gauge (or whatever it's called), so I could only do it on sound. I didn't want to ruin the trans so I just wisely decided to use the clutch again :rolleyes:. Oh well, it was fun playing around with it though.
So you're just guessing at what RPM the gear is going to slip into gear and there's very, very little room for error (which makes it even harder because the dials aren't that easy to read on a normal size monitor anyway).

Also, I don't really get what the game wants me to do. I get the double clutching to shift up... Press the clutch, go into neutral, let off the clutch, press the clutch again and then second gear. But ingame it seems you only have to hold down the clutch a bit longer and it's fine with that.
But ingame if you're in 5L and you pre-select 5H, you can just let off the gas and it goes into 5H. Is that the way it works in real life or not?
And the downshifting... Not sure about that either. Aren't you also supposed to rev-match? So clutch down, go into neutral, hit the gas to match rpm, press the clutch, get into gear? In game, again, you only have to hold the clutch a bit longer.

Definitly fun playing around with it though. I just wish they make the margin of error a bit bigger. Partly because I'm incompetent and party because you can't ''feel'' anything with a G27 (you have to move the stick, but they're essentially just buttons).

Advertisement

Jul 31, 2014
Oh okay... Well it's easier than I thought then.
Also, found a few nice tutorials on how to shift an American truck on Youtube, pretty helpful.

But let me just say: Thank the lord for synchronized gearboxes in EU trucks... The eastern-Europeans have a hard enough time driving trucks already, wouldn't trust them having to deal with unsynchronized transmissions as well.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread