Does anyone know what type of train this is? (1 Viewer)

This rather odd little thing here what parked at Totnes platform 2, what type of train is it? It's got a 153 front and the back of a pacer and looks rather weird if it's fictional I understand.

It has First Great Western livery if that helps. ;)

Attachments

• TOTNES.PNG
    TOTNES.PNG
    366.3 KB · Views: 189

Advertisement

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Correction, it actually uses the scripts from the default A3 Berlin Subway train, with a simple diesel engine soundset mapped to them.

As there were (and still are) no functional UK trains available, this is a hopefully temporary solution making creative use of a bundle of things all already known to work ;) The purpose of it is simply to add some movement to the areas around train stations which has been severely lacking in previous iterations of the map, making the areas feel somewhat empty. Should a better alternative come along we will definitely make use of it.

Correction, it actually uses the scripts from the default A3 Berlin Subway train, with a simple diesel engine soundset mapped to them.

As there were (and still are) no functional UK trains available, this is a hopefully temporary solution making creative use of a bundle of things all already known to work ;) The purpose of it is simply to add some movement to the areas around train stations which has been severely lacking in previous iterations of the map, making the areas feel somewhat empty. Should a better alternative come along we will definitely make use of it.
Oh I see, thanks for the response although didn't we used to have a pacer in 1.7? I thought we did since that'd be better to see. Anyways, thanks.

I don't think lazy is or creative are the right words really. Maybe not there strong point or first priority, as its a train, I mean Totnes in real life has 4 tracks for a start. Also I don't think trains are the easiest things to make in omsi
Trains from OMSI are mainly converted from mesh.

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Oh I see, thanks for the response although didn't we used to have a pacer in 1.7? I thought we did since that'd be better to see. Anyways, thanks.

Trains from OMSI are mainly converted from mesh.

A Pacer, yes but importantly not a functional one - it's just a static model which doesn't do anything. I don't really see what you mean about trains being "converted from mesh" - everything you can see in OMSI is a mesh of one sort or another, whether that's generated in the editor (splines, trees, terrain) or whether it's been modelled externally and then imported (sceneryobjects, vehicles).

There's a lot more work to making any form of vehicle than just creating the mesh, and the simplest solution to getting "something" in game and moving was to make use of an amalgamation of existing vehicles which were already appropriately scripted and known to function correctly, rather than attempting to script a new vehicle from scratch for the sake of a feature in a small update to a map currently approaching end-of-life (as BotW 3 approaches).

Hope that answers your questions :)

DBRepaints

Temsa Avenue 63000 YJ10 DTF
Nov 26, 2016
Bradford,Yorkshire,England
This rather odd little thing here what parked at Totnes platform 2, what type of train is it? It's got a 153 front and the back of a pacer and looks rather weird if it's fictional I understand.

It has First Great Western livery if that helps. ;)

Its based off of either a BR class 153 or a 150/2 never can tell.

A Pacer, yes but importantly not a functional one - it's just a static model which doesn't do anything. I don't really see what you mean about trains being "converted from mesh" - everything you can see in OMSI is a mesh of one sort or another, whether that's generated in the editor (splines, trees, terrain) or whether it's been modelled externally and then imported (sceneryobjects, vehicles).

There's a lot more work to making any form of vehicle than just creating the mesh, and the simplest solution to getting "something" in game and moving was to make use of an amalgamation of existing vehicles which were already appropriately scripted and known to function correctly, rather than attempting to script a new vehicle from scratch for the sake of a feature in a small update to a map currently approaching end-of-life (as BotW 3 approaches).

Hope that answers your questions :)
Thank you for your support, learnt from that ;) - I am excited for BoTW V3

Advertisement

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread