Discovery Ticket Map (1 Viewer)

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
This is the info about the ticket and is great value for the amount of area and numerous operators it works on

Advertisement

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
If have two versions, a light mode:

discovery map LLL.png

And a dark mode:
discovery map DDD.png

It shows only services the discovery ticket can be used on but can't show every service because it would ne cluttered. Not all town or once/twice a week services are shown but most are. Some school only services are shown if they are an extension to a route and obviously dotted line means its infrequent, either subjective to that route or its a couple times a day or less than five days a week.

Enjoy!!

• Love
Reactions: manouilya

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
1584289371832.png

Down in the far bottom left there should be a D line to Stanhope and a dashed AD along most of the A and D which only runs in the evenings and early mornings. Good luck fitting that all in with the space available though.

Just above that, drawn very approximately in dotted blue is the G line to Godington, which also pops out the other side in Sevington where there's also not much space.

Finally there's 4 missing dashed lines, drawn approximately in red, for the 1/1A/1X. I've also attempted to correct the number labelling, which is quite difficult given that the entire route is 1/1A/1X with the exception of:
  • Charham Beech Avenue (1A)
  • The loop around Wye (1/1A)
  • Little Burton (1/1A)
  • Both routes to avoid Chartham Railway Station (1X)
In case you were wondering, if a bus calls at Chartham Beech Avenue (the tip of the spur at Chartham) then they are numbered 1A. If they don't, but they call at Wye Church (i.e. go around the loop at Wye) then they are numbered 1. If they call at neither, then they are numbered 1X. Doesn't matter where the bus is going to or from or the route taken, just whether either of those stops are called at.

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
View attachment 59223
Down in the far bottom left there should be a D line to Stanhope and a dashed AD along most of the A and D which only runs in the evenings and early mornings. Good luck fitting that all in with the space available though.

Just above that, drawn very approximately in dotted blue is the G line to Godington, which also pops out the other side in Sevington where there's also not much space.

Finally there's 4 missing dashed lines, drawn approximately in red, for the 1/1A/1X. I've also attempted to correct the number labelling, which is quite difficult given that the entire route is 1/1A/1X with the exception of:
  • Charham Beech Avenue (1A)
  • The loop around Wye (1/1A)
  • Little Burton (1/1A)
  • Both routes to avoid Chartham Railway Station (1X)
In case you were wondering, if a bus calls at Chartham Beech Avenue (the tip of the spur at Chartham) then they are numbered 1A. If they don't, but they call at Wye Church (i.e. go around the loop at Wye) then they are numbered 1. If they call at neither, then they are numbered 1X. Doesn't matter where the bus is going to or from or the route taken, just whether either of those stops are called at.
Wow lots of detail there.
I purposely haven't included all town services because other the areas around would be pure colour and no space but 8 might be able to squeeze them in, or make an area around towns have thinner lines like I saw on a MetroBus bus map.
Screenshot_20200315_184551.jpg
That would be a lot of reworking but I'll think I will actually do that.

With the 1's I'm trying to give an idea of what buses frequently do but I should add the extra labels and lines to be more consistent with the rest of the map.

Thanks!!

Advertisement

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
This map is seriously messy. It represents routes well but once you stare at it, it starts to drive you insane.
ahhhhhhhh.png

Anyway, I have decided to just restart my map because of a couple reasons.
1. Too many circles, once I head towards nearing London on Surrey and Kent the amount of circles will be ridiculous.
2. If I start to show town routes I could do with a bit more space.
3. I can add more detail like roundabouts and more accurate town one way systems.

This is Whitstable and Herne Bay without and labeling and for the sea yet to cool down.
It looks great apart from you cab barely see the 660.
A start.JPG

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
It's looking good and enjoying it very much.
Have yet to add the sea but the routes give a vague outline.

Open the image on a new tab and zoom in to like 500% for a good look.

Attachments

• Discover V2(image).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 37

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
Been a while but I randomly decided to keep going again.
This time for the Version 2 map I'm just going to focus on Kent (and Medway) for now but I started accidentally going into Sussex.

More rural filler routes have been added around Tenterden and Rye, and then some towards Maidstone.
Sittingbourne and the Isle of Sheppey are complete.

Enjoy this for now.

Attachments

• Discover V2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: TheChannelOfChuChu

The Mapper

Making irl bus maps
Dec 21, 2017
Kent
I have just realised Stagecoach decided to keep a change to the 3B and 27 in Canterbury they made during covid, this has now been implemented. The 27 replaces the 3B serving Rough Common and the 3B no longer exists meaning I had to redo the whole of north Canterbury as there was a one off 3B serving past the Uni. The 27 also no longer serves into the London Road estate, the 27 now has a purpose, it seemed like a pretty useless route beforehand.
1599130788568.png

I also forgot to add the occasional 666 to the William Harvey hospital in Ashford, it is now added.
1599131035026.png

Advertisement

Jun 16, 2018
Yes, I noticed that too after I posted the image, it should be labelled 796.
I have already fixed it.

It's always good to have someone with a keen eye and local knowledge checking my maps, thanks.

Also you seemed to have missed route Nu-Venture route 192, and I may be wrong but I'm sure the 185 doesn't extend to Bluebell Hill Village

EDIT: Woops, living in the past, seems the 192 no longer exists - a symptom of looking at all the old timetables :P

Advertisement

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread