Destination Display issue on my Routemaster project (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Berlin
Hey guys,

I'm currently creating the destination displays for my AEC Routemaster WIP. For the large number of rollblind sets, I chose the rollband.osc from the default MAN SD77. The three route number blind sets are used on my Routemaster in the following way: Ln1 is used to show the front route number together with the bulkhead route number. Ln2 shows the front intermediate destinations and Ln3 shows both route number and intermediate destinations on back and side display. That works very well so far.
The issue is, that the destination displays on front and back of my bus aren't shown. They even do not seem to be textured although I mapped them in anim8or. During the conversion blender shows them correctly textured.
I tried every combination of joining the meshes e.g. both outer destination faces together, or all four faces together or even all four faces for themselves.
While pushing the page up or down button (after F8 of course), you can hear the rolling sound of the display, but there stays a white face.
I also tested the o3d in the MAN SD77 with the same result. Then I tried the o3d from SD77 in my Routemaster, where it too didn't work. Very confusing.
Does anyone have any idea or experience with that rollblind script or modelling? I'm at my wit's end at the moment. :(
screen:
RM13.jpg

Hope someone has a clue.

Cheers, Matthias

Solution
As your bus uses a different style of rollband in comparison to the SD77, it may be best to have a number of pre-entered bus routes

View attachment 10591

You will also need to specify the file path in the rollband scripts
View attachment 10592

Hi @Rhys,

As I am not familiar with scripting yet, I was wondering if I can just copy and paste it to the script file of the rollblinds? Well I just tried, but it won't work.

I attached the script file here. Would you be so kind and check it please?

Thanks for your advices :)

Cheers, Matthias

Advertisement

Oct 25, 2016
Berlin
Hey,

I solved the problem with the textures of the destination blind. There was an error in the o3d file.
But as soon as the blinds are visible, they show the next issue. When I roll to the next position, the blind shows again the initial texture until it has rolled to the end of the next position. Then it swaps dirctly to the next texture.
Screen:
RM13.jpg

Does anyone already had that issue and knows the solution?

Cheers, Matthias

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
So, I'm going to try and explain how this works, based on what I've been able to identify from analysing existing setups. Note that this only applies to the destination blinds, the default number blinds use a slightly different system because they're less variable.
The blind itself is constructed from two identical polygons that cover the whole viewing area of the particular blind. They are each UV unwrapped with the blind texture, something like this (the blind is pillar boxed so that the overall texture has power-of-2 sides, but the blind area is the correct aspect ratio):
upload_2017-4-13_2-27-20.png
Then, you take your second polygon and ensure it's mapped the same, but to a differently named texture, so you can target each individually later. Then, you shift the UV-mapping on just one of the polygons by 100% either up or down (I can't remember which is used for the default scripts). Something like this:
upload_2017-4-13_2-30-7.png
Then you export your mesh with these two polygons (I create a single polygon mesh in Blender then duplicate the object, so they are guaranteed to be in the same location. When you export two objects they get put in the same file in alphabetical order, which helps for render ordering) and bring it into OMSI.
Then, you configure each material (you can target them individual because of the different texture names).
Code:
First polygon in render order:
[matl_change]
zielband2.bmp
lights_stand

[matl_freetex]
zielband2.bmp
Rollband_Tex_H

[texcoordtransY]
rlbnd_ziel_trans_2

[matl_texadress_border]

[matl_item]

[matl_lightmap]
zielbeleuchtung.bmp
Second polygon in render order:
[matl_change]
zielband1.bmp
lights_stand

[matl_freetex]
zielband1.bmp
Rollband_Tex_V

[texcoordtransY]
rlbnd_ziel_trans

[matl_texadress_border]

[matl_alpha]

[matl_item]

[matl_lightmap]
zielbeleuchtung.bmp
Now, it's vitally important that the second polygon to render has that alpha tag and also that the rollblind images are 32-bit images, otherwise it will not display correctly.
So, how does this work? Essentially with two polygons on top, one shifted 100% over, you stick the two images together one after the other. They both use the same translation (the variables are different in the default scripts, but they're set the same) so they both move up in unison, seeming to be as one. Then, when the translation reaches 1 or 0 (depending on the direction), the images are advanced and the translation reset so that visually it looks like a continuous blind even though it's actually just two images at any one time. Perhaps this diagram helps:
upload_2017-4-13_2-22-32.png
The grey blocks represent the edge of the viewing area. The two black boxes are the two polygons (in reality they are in the same physical space, one simply renders "on top" of the other). The red and green represent the two images, one 100% translated to the other. As they move up, they appear to move as one. When the green reaches the top, the image on the green polygon jumps to the red and the whole thing shifts down again.
Because one polygon is seen through the other, the area around the image on top must be transparent. Using [matl_texadress_border], the area around the texture is filled with transparent white, and the [matl_alpha] tag ensures that it renders transparent. If a non-transparent image (24-bit PNG or TGA with no transparency anywhere) is loaded, that area immediately becomes opaque and the blind is seen to scroll to or from complete white before the jump to the next image.
Hopefully this makes some sort of sense and helps in some way... :tongueout:

Oct 25, 2016
Berlin
Hi Road-hog123,
thanks for your very usefull explanation. I should have mentioned, that I had to erase both [matl_texadress_border] tags, otherwise the display is shown white without any texture. Suppose that's not correct, but why?
I also tried to map the polys in blender. After export the whole bus hasn't been rendered and I got countless "Fehler in Bereichsprüfung ... TUV1" errors in logfile.
I'm afraid, I will get mad about this. :D

Cheers, Matthias

Oct 25, 2016
Berlin
Hey,

I solved it. First I did what @Road-hog123 wrote with the result, that the zielband1 polygon worked well but the zielband 2 stayed white. Then I found out, that I had to map it the same way as zielband1 and it worked. The difference between @Road-hog123's and my handling of that may be seen in the version of blender. I use 2.6.3.

Cheers, Matthias

Advertisement

Oct 25, 2016
Berlin
As your bus uses a different style of rollband in comparison to the SD77, it may be best to have a number of pre-entered bus routes

View attachment 10591

You will also need to specify the file path in the rollband scripts
View attachment 10592

Hi @Rhys,

As I am not familiar with scripting yet, I was wondering if I can just copy and paste it to the script file of the rollblinds? Well I just tried, but it won't work.

I attached the script file here. Would you be so kind and check it please?

Thanks for your advices :)

Cheers, Matthias

Attachments

• rollband.txt
    28.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Solution
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread