Dennis Plaxton Pointer (1991- 2006)- Opinions? (3 Viewers)

Do You Like The Dennis Plaxton Pointer?

• Yes

Votes: 199 93.0%
  • Neutral/Indifferent

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters
Mar 16, 2017
Lasting for a whopping 15 years, the Plaxton Pointer has become rarer as the years go by, especially in London, where buses over 15 years of age seem to be either scrapped or taken out of service for a different company's use, across the country. Offered with the Dart and SLF chassis, the Plaxton stayed relatively simple, with the similar Cummins engines becoming more refined in its later years.

Plaxtons were the go to single decker of the 90's and 00's, becoming one of the best selling in the UK.

The Plaxton has also had success overseas with the Hong Kong and Canadian RHD unit shown below.

I've had so many experiences with Pointers across London, coupled with their reliability, makes them my favourite single decker bus, so of course I like them.

But how about you?

Feel free to comment any of your experiences too.

Images
1: J136DUV- 318: Not In Service
2: N214WRD- 152: Winkfield
3: HA 9560- 208: Broadcast Drive
4: P291FPK- 32: Guildford
5: X226WNO- 227: Crystal Palace (In Bromley North)
6: Y981TGH- P12: Surrey Quays (In Brockley Rise)
7: LV52HKM- P4: Brixton (In Brixton)
8: SN53AVG- 24: Edinburgh Park
9: SN56AXB- 630: Platt Bridge
10: Unknown Plate- 3: Beacon Hill

Attachments

• Plaxton 1- 318 (Sunray Travel).jpg
    Plaxton 1- 318 (Sunray Travel).jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Plaxton 1- 152 (First Berkshire).jpg
    Plaxton 1- 152 (First Berkshire).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Plaxton 1- 208 (KMB).jpg
    Plaxton 1- 208 (KMB).jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Plaxton 1- 32 (Guildford and West Surrey).jpg
    Plaxton 1- 32 (Guildford and West Surrey).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 114
  • Plaxton 2- 227 (Selkent).jpg
    Plaxton 2- 227 (Selkent).jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Plaxton 2- P12 (London Central).jpg
    Plaxton 2- P12 (London Central).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Plaxton 2- P4 (Stagecoach).jpg
    Plaxton 2- P4 (Stagecoach).jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Plaxton 2- 24 (Lothian).jpg
    Plaxton 2- 24 (Lothian).jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Plaxton 2- 630 (Wigan Buses).jpg
    Plaxton 2- 630 (Wigan Buses).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Plaxton 2- 3 (Victoria Regional Transit System- Canada).jpg
    Plaxton 2- 3 (Victoria Regional Transit System- Canada).jpg
    771 KB · Views: 158
We used to get Dennis MPDs on service 202 (and later the 265), which were under Go North East's 'East Durham' brand. They were retired in 2015 for the rebrand of 'East Durham to ''indiGo' with Optare Solos. From memory, they always felt like they were about to fall apart, especially on Wood's Terrace in Murton, which is cobbles. I wasn't too fond of the East Durham livery, but they also wore the Go Wear Buses livery, which brings back some very happy memories.

Dart MPD NA52 AWY in Peterlee Bus Station (Not my image)

Dart MPD NA02 AXO in Durham Bus Station. It is in Go Wear Buses livery, and branded for what is now route 60. The 154 has since changed to the 65 and most recently the 265, when it was brought under the East Durham brand. (again, not my image)

indiGo Optare Solo NK15 EMJ (also fleet number 666 though I don't think it's cursed) which replaced the Darts in 2015. This IS my photo. I prefer the dart even though they did feel like they were about to fall apart. At least they had moquette seats!
1529787304981.jpeg

Advertisement

whsde

OMSI 2 Designer of all things York Buses
Dec 28, 2017
York
They're not bad. They're great in the aspect that I like the bodywork, interior and the engine sure had some power. But sadly they're so unreliable. I'd have them fall apart often and a lot of failing gearboxes. I'd usually have to floor it to get it to change gear past 40mph. They also seem to wobble and sway at high speeds to but I really like them, architecturally - my favourite bus. However mechanically - not so. I would love to have seen this with a Centro type engine and chassis. Such a great bus. I still drive one if I'm going to Selby, however the engines never start, they rattle like hell and the engine screams even at 40. The elderly are never impressed. I may have gotten one to 64 on a depot run before ;)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2017
They're not bad. They're great in the aspect that I like the bodywork, interior and the engine sure had some power. But sadly they're so unreliable. I'd have them fall apart often and a lot of failing gearboxes. I'd usually have to floor it to get it to change gear past 40mph. They also seem to wobble and sway at high speeds to but I really like them, architecturally - my favourite bus. However mechanically - not so. I would love to have seen this with a Centro type engine and chassis. Such a great bus. I still drive one if I'm going to Selby, however the engines never start, they rattle like hell and the engine screams even at 40. The elderly are never impressed. I may have gotten one to 64 on a depot run before ;)

I agree with you on both architecture and mechanics. It's minimalist design is appealing, but despite stating it was reliable, it wasn't the best in terms of buses I've travelled on. The early 2000's models tend to make a strange gurgling sound up hills, maybe as a result of the gearbox, but its great to hear from a bus driver.

are you going to make it mate

Sadly no, as I don't have any experience with software tools to create buses. I would if I could, but I also don't have the time.

Sep 24, 2016
Scotland
I agree with you on both architecture and mechanics. It's minimalist design is appealing, but despite stating it was reliable, it wasn't the best in terms of buses I've travelled on. The early 2000's models tend to make a strange gurgling sound up hills, maybe as a result of the gearbox, but its great to hear from a bus driver.

Sadly no, as I don't have any experience with software tools to create buses. I would if I could, but I also don't have the time.

Far as I am aware, a Dennis Dart MPD (Plaxton Pointer II) is currently in the works and I believe it had Urban 90 seating. Not sure if its still being worked on or if development stopped.

Back on topic, I have always loved Dennis Darts, Can remember going to school in a J reg Plaxton Pointer I and lying down on the solid plastic engine compartment cover at the back for a heat sometimes haha!

Nowadays I still love them with a good number of them still being operated in Lanarkshire by First and also by local operators.

Reactions: Troyski
Mar 16, 2017
Far as I am aware, a Dennis Dart MPD (Plaxton Pointer II) is currently in the works and I believe it had Urban 90 seating. Not sure if its still being worked on or if development stopped.

Back on topic, I have always loved Dennis Darts, Can remember going to school in a J reg Plaxton Pointer I and lying down on the solid plastic engine compartment cover at the back for a heat sometimes haha!

Nowadays I still love them with a good number of them still being operated in Lanarkshire by First and also by local operators.

Nice to hear they're still used up in Scotland and yes, I too used the back for placing rucksacks when travelling with one to school or elsewhere ????

Advertisement

Nov 19, 2016
DSC00290.JPG

I thought I would pop this in here, Arriva Belmont's Sole MPD NK05 GWU 1773 which I had on the 62 yesterday. She was thrashed around Durham. Civic V3s she had but they were like rocks tbh. She was Mini Max'd in 2013 I believe. She not in a good state at all

Mar 16, 2017
View attachment 31028
I thought I would pop this in here, Arriva Belmont's Sole MPD NK05 GWU 1773 which I had on the 62 yesterday. She was thrashed around Durham. Civic V3s she had but they were like rocks tbh. She was Mini Max'd in 2013 I believe. She not in a good state at all

That's a shame. As the only unit and at 13 years, it needs to keep on going.

Reactions: MrChips

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Heh, even I have a photo of a Dart on tow, courtesy of X226 WNO's choice of ride home after SEBF earlier this year. :P
1529968733540.png
But this is one of my favourite bus photos I've seen, let alone photos of a Dart. Not taken by me though, my camera would never manage anything this good.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread