Criminalisation of Copyright Infringement & Governments New DIGITAL ECONOMY BILL

ARTY 1

Oct 19, 2016
I don't know if anyone else has read about this & its possible ramifications. The measure is primarily
so that persons or runners of web sites that allow the streaming of illicit or illegally recorded videos or films can be prosecuted with a punishment of up to 10 years in prison.
However reading more into the legal discussions this could also effect File Sharing web sites where copyrighted material is included. Tacitly in the past if you were not selling the item where said material was used it was deemed OK. That could now be at threat, unintentionally I think, as it could now include free gratis items. So for instance to comply with new rules if you do a reskin which includes a company logo you could be liable if you do not have permission to use it.
This could prove restrictive to our hobby & to web sites like this.
Whether it fully develops into this scenario will probably become apparent in the future.

D

Deleted member 422

I don't know if anyone else has read about this & its possible ramifications. The measure is primarily
so that persons or runners of web sites that allow the streaming of illicit or illegally recorded videos or films can be prosecuted with a punishment of up to 10 years in prison.
However reading more into the legal discussions this could also effect File Sharing web sites where copyrighted material is included. Tacitly in the past if you were not selling the item where said material was used it was deemed OK. That could now be at threat, unintentionally I think, as it could now include free gratis items. So for instance to comply with new rules if you do a reskin which includes a company logo you could be liable if you do not have permission to use it.
This could prove restrictive to our hobby & to web sites like this.
Whether it fully develops into this scenario will probably become apparent in the future.
If the logo was used for commercial purposes and for profitable gains, than yes. But seeing as everything on here is freeware, than no, this would not be a problem. The law is already like this, when dealing with online file sharing, its just that authorities take no notice, because its petty and brings no foreseeable gains.

If you made a repaint and were selling it, for example in the London-Addon, than yes, you'd need permission. This is already the case, and hence the reason the bus manufactures logo does not appear on the buses, in replacement of the word 'London'.

Copyright infringement online, is already a criminal offence, under the Creative Commons, Computer Missuse Act, and Copyright Law's. When material is online, under the Creative Commons Licensing, it is automatically copyrighted, contrary to that when it is physical material, whereby it has to be registered to be copywritten.

ARTY 1

Oct 19, 2016
Hi Leeds lad the article I was reading yesterday has been taken down, although Google search shows up many references but none include the proposed changes.
In the light of Kieron's comments & what I was aware of perhaps it was as Trump says fake news.

Reactions: Deleted member 422