Converting Blender To OMSI (1 Viewer)

LukeW

London Bus Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2017
Hello!

Having taken a look at various tutorials I have managed to model myself out two buses in Blender, The Wright Streetlite & The Dennis Enviro 200 2-Door Variant.

I now want to go about getting the blender model off of blender and onto OMSI. What steps should I take? To start off with, I want a basic moving steering wheel and mirrors and then build up the cab a bit more in future. I have got a fairly decent understanding of the Scripts folder and feel I would be able to write appropriate scripts for the bus but need aiming in my next steps about getting my model out of blender ;)

Cheers :)

Solution
D
Is there anyway I could use the SD202 to make a new dashboard of the Dennis Dragon and wheels (Steering and rims, front and rear)?
D

Deleted member 422

Hello!

Having taken a look at various tutorials I have managed to model myself out two buses in Blender, The Wright Streetlite & The Dennis Enviro 200 2-Door Variant.

I now want to go about getting the blender model off of blender and onto OMSI. What steps should I take? To start off with, I want a basic moving steering wheel and mirrors and then build up the cab a bit more in future. I have got a fairly decent understanding of the Scripts folder and feel I would be able to write appropriate scripts for the bus but need aiming in my next steps about getting my model out of blender ;)

Cheers :)
Well firstly, a thing to know would be that Omsi doesn't like to load .o3d files larger than about 8mb if I remember correctly. So you would need to dissect your model into smaller pieces so that they will load properly in game. Secondly, certain things need to be on their own, in the model, for them to function correctly. For example, the mirror itself, usually needs to be a separate model, from the rest of the casing, and the steering wheel separate from the column.

Secondly, the process out of Blender, is exporting it as a .x file, into your model folder, with the appropriate name, listed in the model.cfg (which you say you know about so I won't detail that). Once you have exported everything as a .x, you need to run each .x file with the Omsi Object Converter. This converts the files from .x, to .o3d, which is the format read by Omsi.

However, when exporting, there are different settings available to be used:
upload_2017-6-16_18-14-47.png

Some of these, depend on what way your model is pictured in Blender, so it might be more helpful, if you were to show an image of one of your models, rather than trying to explain what way it needs to be exported :)

Advertisement

LukeW

London Bus Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2017
Well firstly, a thing to know would be that Omsi doesn't like to load .o3d files larger than about 8mb if I remember correctly. So you would need to dissect your model into smaller pieces so that they will load properly in game. Secondly, certain things need to be on their own, in the model, for them to function correctly. For example, the mirror itself, usually needs to be a separate model, from the rest of the casing, and the steering wheel separate from the column.

Secondly, the process out of Blender, is exporting it as a .x file, into your model folder, with the appropriate name, listed in the model.cfg (which you say you know about so I won't detail that). Once you have exported everything as a .x, you need to run each .x file with the Omsi Object Converter. This converts the files from .x, to .o3d, which is the format read by Omsi.

However, when exporting, there are different settings available to be used:
View attachment 13655
Some of these, depend on what way your model is pictured in Blender, so it might be more helpful, if you were to show an image of one of your models, rather than trying to explain what way it needs to be exported :)

Thank you both for your help :) I wasn't aware exporting buses was similar to exporting sceneryobiects so that helps a lot ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread