Complete beginner to OMSI scripting and Blender, intending to create a bus. Where can I get help? (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2016
Dear all,

I'm going to have a go at creating a Plaxton President bodied Volvo B7TL. I am totally new to coding in general, OMSI scripting and Blender. I have read up on the difficulty levels and what resources are required. I have good access to the bus in real life, and I think I can arrange a private session to take pictures of textures and record sound etc.

First I am going to develop skills in Blender, learn some coding so I get the logic behind it, then OMSI Scripting. I think it will take at least a year to get good at it.

So, my question. I've already collected some resources, but:
  • Where can I find templates for the bus? Looked in many places.
  • How much money is required?
  • What are some of the best tutorials for each required skill set?
  • Where's the best place to start?
  • Should I even try?
  • What are the best ways to obtain required resources for the bus?
  • How can I avoid getting on the wrong side of copyright and licencing? (except not using parts from other people's busses without permission)
And also, I would really appreciate any tips anyone could drop. No I am not going to jump straight in - I'd love to have this as a hobby and I am way more than happy to listen to everyone and do things properly afresh.

Thanks and kind regards,
Sjain

P.S. Very friendly and well designed forum :)

Last edited:
Solution
Flickr would be your best place for this. If you can't find blueprints or anything, your next best option is to find a head on, back side, side on picture on Flickr. You'll get more detail to work of at the expense of a completely dead on photo
Depends on how you wanna go about it. Blender etc will be free but if you do want to get sounds you may wanna invest in a decent audio recorder :tongueout:
You could try making a house in Blender, watching Whistleheads blender tutorial for him making a could probably help you get used to blender.
  • Should I even try?
Definitely...

Mystic Greg

Add-on London Team
May 22, 2016
Flickr would be your best place for this. If you can't find blueprints or anything, your next best option is to find a head on, back side, side on picture on Flickr. You'll get more detail to work of at the expense of a completely dead on photo
Depends on how you wanna go about it. Blender etc will be free but if you do want to get sounds you may wanna invest in a decent audio recorder :P
You could try making a house in Blender, watching Whistleheads blender tutorial for him making a could probably help you get used to blender.
  • Should I even try?
Definitely, I started making a bus with no Blender knowledge back in August and if you keep being dedicated to the cause who knows what you could end up with :P
If you can get a depot visit then that will be your best shot. With my Solo I can't get a depot visit so I am just sticking to Flickr pictures which really hinder you at some points, so if you can get one that will be your best shot
  • How can I avoid getting on the wrong side of copyright and licencing? (except not using parts from other people's busses without permission)
As far as I know you will only need to worry about stuff like this for payware really :P

Hope this helps you and good luck :)

Tutorial: Click me

Reactions: Callum23 and shanie

Advertisement

Aug 3, 2016
Depends on how you wanna go about it. Blender etc will be free but if you do want to get sounds you may wanna invest in a decent audio recorder :tongueout:
  • Should I even try?
Definitely, I started making a bus with no Blender knowledge back in August and if you keep being dedicated to the cause who knows what you could end up with :tongueout:
If you can get a depot visit then that will be your best shot. With my Solo I can't get a depot visit so I am just sticking to Flickr pictures which really hinder you at some points, so if you can get one that will be your best shot
As far as I know you will only need to worry about stuff like this for payware really :tongueout:

Hope this helps you and good luck :)

Tutorial: Click me

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive reply - it will definitely help.

I'll give the tutorial a go, and I'll continue following other tutorials. I have to say though, first off Blender's UI looks really nice and professional, and it has great options for changing the size, really benefits the minority of high resolution users

Thanks for the reply, it put a lot of motivation in me. I'm looking forward to the project and hope it is of good quality.

Reactions: Mystic Greg
Solution
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread