Maps City of Bristol (1 Viewer)

Title1.png

Welcome.png
Discord: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Background.png

Bristol Airport is the South West's main airport handling more than 8 million passengers (2017) per year. Main operators at the airport include easyJet, Ryanair, TUI, Thomas Cook, BMI Regional, and others. The current terminal opened in 2000 and has undergone many expansion projects throughout the year. With the most recent ones being the expanded departure lounge (2015), new security search comb (2016) and the expanded arrivals and immigration hall (2017/2018).
The airport has one runway designated 09/27.
Map.png

This map is my first map that I am creating so I am mainly creating this map to allow myself to get to know the OMSI creation tools. However, I am willing to follow a plan to get this map done.
The map will be an accurate re-creation of Bristol Airport.
For initial release, the map will consist of just the airport, car parks and the surrounding roads. There will be a number of routes as follows:
  • Silver Zone Shuttle:
    • Silver Zone car park - Old Terminal - New Terminal
    • New Terminal - Silver Zone car park
  • Long stay Shuttle:
    • Long stay car park (various stops) - New Terminal
    • New Terminal - Long stay car park (various stops)
  • Staff Shuttle:
    • New Terminal - Old Terminal - Staff Car Park
    • Staff Car Park - Old Terminal - New Terminal
These routes are operated using the Mercedes-Benz Citaros.
There is a custom Bristol Airport shuttle repaint for these buses which is currently available for download here: Bristol Airport Repaint

When (and if) the initial release is complete, I will work to implement the different bus services that operate to and from the airport. Each route will be published in it's each individual update.
The additional routes planned is as follows:
  • A1 Airport Flyer (operated by First):
    • Bristol Bus Station - Bristol Temple Meads - Redcliffe Way - Bedminster Parade - Parson Street - Bridgewater Road - Bristol Airport
  • A3 Airport Flyer (operated by First):
    • Weston-Super-Mare - Worle - Hewish - Congresbury - Cleeve - Brockley - Downside - Bristol Airport
  • A4 Air Decker (operated by Bath Bus Company):
    • Bath - Saltford - Keynsham - South Bristol - Bristol Airport
More information on the A1 and A3 can be found here.
More information on the A4 can be found here.

There is currently no release date set.
Screenshots.png

Current progress of the map can be found below and I will post updates in this thread when they become available.
Omsi_2018-08-16_18-52-33.png

Omsi_2018-08-21_15-55-55.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-21_15-56-26.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-21_15-56-58.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-22_18-39-02.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-23_19-24-38.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-24_11-38-54.jpg

I'm always open for feedback and suggestions. :)
Credits.png

Entire map currently made by FirstEnviro
Some assets made by third party authors which will be available in the readme in final release.

BRSLogo.png

Last edited:

Advertisement

FirstEnviro

Developer of the Studio Polygon [Redacted]
Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Apologies for no updates in the past few days. I've been a bit busy and haven't had a lot of time to work on the map.
The time I have had has been figuring out the best way to do the roads. I haven't had a lot of experience and I'm having to lean the track system.
I've been spending time today going through the current roads I have placed and adding in the tracks. This meant I've had to do a bit of terrain work, changing the heights of paths I've already placed and placing down new splines. This has been pretty time consuming so that's why it doesn't look like a lot of progress has been made.

Anyhow, here's the progress.
1532900641550.png

1532900655083.png

1532900667758.png

Oct 24, 2016
Cymru
I’ll be following this project with keen interest - Bristol airport isn’t far from where I am and tends to be the airport I fly from/to if I’m going places.

Seen the buses on the A1 change over the years too from the single deck B7’s to the E400 MMC’s and B9TL’s that seem more frequent these days.

Best of luck - looking forward to seeing how this progresses

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Current progress for today:
I'm continuing work on the tracks. Currently working on the most difficult junction in the entire map at the moment which is the main roundabout on the A38 connecting the main airport road. Taking a bit of time as I'm still new to the editor but it seems to be going well so far.

Real airport layout:
1532952283858.png

Current progress in OMSI:
1532952294824.png

The right hand side of the roundabout is currently incorrect and I'm in the process of fixing this.

Advertisement

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Bus wise. Have they still got the Mercedes Citaros? From a quick glance it seems they're using the Wrightbus singledeckers and the E300/400 MMC's

The car park shuttles, operated by Bristol Airport, uses the Mercedes-Benz Citaros.
The A1, operated by First, uses the E400MMC.
The A3, operated by First, uses the E200MMC and Streetlite.
The A4, operated by Bath Bus Company, uses the B5TL MCV, B9TL MCV, B7TL ALX400 and B9TL Wright Gemini 2.

The A1 and A3 can sometimes have some other First buses used for busier periods.

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
Be interesting to see how this pans out, given that the Botwcle International Airthorpe was going to be based off this design. The fact you've started using your own splines and not using prefab junctions everywhere says to me that it would be a decent map.

Reactions: FirstEnviro

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Be interesting to see how this pans out, given that the Botwcle International Airthorpe was going to be based off this design. The fact you've started using your own splines and not using prefab junctions everywhere says to me that it would be a decent map.

Thanks! I'm hoping this can turn out to be a really decent map and I'll keep posting updates here to allow people to give their suggestions on the way I'm doing things.

Advertisement

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
The only problem I see with Bristol is that there's quite a bit of airport infrastructure you'll need to source. For example, ILS aerials are directly next to the road, and as you drive in you can see right down the apron so you'll need a somewhat decent set of static aircraft.

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
The only problem I see with Bristol is that there's quite a bit of airport infrastructure you'll need to source. For example, ILS aerials are directly next to the road, and as you drive in you can see right down the apron so you'll need a somewhat decent set of static aircraft.

Yeah that's the only issue and is what will take the most time. I've quite confident in using Blender anyway so creating the assets myself shouldn't be an issue. The issue would be trying to import it into OMSI correctly with textures. The last time I tried it the asset imported massive and the texture wouldn't load on it.

Feb 4, 2017
I suppose some stuff can be taken from FSX scenery no? Such as the buildings etc, at least the basic templates and static aircraft. It's mostly Easyjet, Ryanair and Flybe. So basic static models of A319, 737-800 and Dash-8 should cover all bases of traffic

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
I suppose some stuff can be taken from FSX scenery no? Such as the buildings etc, at least the basic templates and static aircraft. It's mostly Easyjet, Ryanair and Flybe. So basic static models of A319, 737-800 and Dash-8 should cover all bases of traffic

If the appropriate permission is available in the downloads or the game then this can definitely speed up development and will be an option available to me.

Feb 4, 2017
If the appropriate permission is available in the downloads or the game then this can definitely speed up development and will be an option available to me.
Maybe contact UK2000? They have some outstanding FSX scenery and have Bristol (it may be a little outdated) but they also have static aircraft as well. They're a smaller company in terms of FSX scenery devs so they're way more likely to reply. They imo create the best UK scenery and have pretty much photorealistic scenery.

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Maybe contact UK2000? They have some outstanding FSX scenery and have Bristol (it may be a little outdated) but they also have static aircraft as well. They're a smaller company in terms of FSX scenery devs so they're way more likely to reply. They imo create the best UK scenery and have pretty much photorealistic scenery.

Yeah I use UK2000 Bristol for my P3D. I'll have to see what they allow in terms of asset use. But as it's payware, I doubt they would allow me to use it.

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread