Cheap gaming pc suggestions (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 5402

Look, I'm really no tech savvy so maybe this is a stupid question:
Are i5's quad cores or are some of them dual or six cores?
i5s can be any of those really (dual/quad/hexa core), depending on the age, I can tell you my 6 core i5-9600KF performs brilliantly in OMSI but with that listing you're likely to be getting an extremely old and under-performing processor (probably not even an i5 really) that has been repurposed from an old machine, stay welllllllll clear, my 9th gen i5 cost more on it's own than that listing, so even if it did miraculously come with an i5 you absolutely will not be getting the performance the person behind that listing wants you to think

Advertisement

May 5, 2019
i5s can be any of those really (dual/quad/hexa core), depending on the age, I can tell you my 6 core i5-9600KF performs brilliantly in OMSI but with that listing you're likely to be getting an extremely old and under-performing processor (probably not even an i5 really) that has been repurposed from an old machine, stay welllllllll clear, my 9th gen i5 cost more on it's own than that listing, so even if it did miraculously come with an i5 you absolutely will not be getting the performance the person behind that listing wants you to think

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any tips for getting a decent pc? If so should I consider how many cores it has?

D

Deleted member 5402

Thank you for the reply. Do you have any tips for getting a decent pc? If so should I consider how many cores it has?
Happy to help! Try and make sure you use a reputable site, although Amazon itself is brilliant, a lot of sellers on there definitely are not... take a look at this if you like, Also try looking at places like currys too, they tend to have a decent selection with fair-ish prices. Sites like cyberpower pc, where I got my new PC from, are also worth a look, you'll probably be able to get newer parts than somewhere like currys and will be able to customise it to exactly what you like. As for OMSI just aim for 4 cores, anything else and then to make it future proof you'll want to look at 6 cores and above, the machine that xxtechehxx has posted a link to looks like a brilliant option, the i5-9400F is rather similar to my -9600KF so I can vouch for the fact that it should be able to handle OMSI very well, £699 is an amazing price too, I went for a 1660 Super with a 2TB HDD and don't really want to say how much I could've saved on that machine... although the 8GB RAM would limit you in the future, butttt this would likely be easily upgraded, a great find xxtechehxx!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yuki7144

Announcement Pack-er
Apr 21, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I'd stay away from prebuilts personally, but given AMD's announcement about the new CPUs being incompatible with thhe B450 motherboards, it might be worth waiting for the new motherboards come out, as there should be people who buy them to replace their current B450 motherboards. Also given price to performance, I'd probably go for an AMD CPU, possibly the ryzen 5 3600. I suggest a ryzen also due to its included WRAITH cpu cooler which performs well so you dont need to worry about any cooling issues.

You can find many B450M MicroATX boards on ebay right now around the £40-70 price mark. Not fancy but will do the job

CPU+ CPU Cooler = £155
RAM = £60 - Get any DDR4 8GB stick

Motherboard = B450M AM4 Socket motherboard

Case = Get any case that comes with case fans ( I have the Corsair 275R, comes with 2 fans that are perfectly sufficient for cooling on their own. (£50))

With the remaining money you should be able to get something like an GTX 1660 Super brand new, but if you're willing to risk it then you can try for a higher end one on ebay. I have a AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 380 and the 1660 super gets around x2 better benchmark scores. I run GTA V and OMSI fairly well on this, GTA topping 63fps and OMSI stable at around 30-40 FPS.

If my maths is right, that should be around £530 or something like that, you're going to want a copy of windows but iirc you can still convert a windows 7 licence. (Don't quote me on that)

One final note, I wrote this assuming you already have a power supply of some sort, if you dont, then prepare for it to cost a good £60 more.

Advertisement

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread