Buses [Cancelled] The ALX Project (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stagecoach_8513.jpg

Welcome to the new official thread...

So everyone, welcome to the all new and official forum thread for the ALX Project. For anyone who is not sure, the ALX Project is a project where I am undertaking the task of building an Alexander Dennis ALX400. I decided to do this simply because I am fed up of the lack of UK content that is of a high standard. This project is about building a bus for RHD maps that is high quality and what I hope will be the highest quality UK bus in OMSI.

I will be building this bus completely from scratch in Blender, so expect it to take some time as this project is about me learning Blender as well. I am making everything from scratch including the .bus files, the repaints, engine scripts, gearbox scripts etc. which is no easy task in OMSI. I can give a brief plan of what I hope to include in the bus (But like any plan it will no doubt change)

Planned Features

- Realistic body shape

- Accurate Real Life size

- Working front, lateral and rear destination boards

- Working stop bell (Which is also interactive by player)

- Working Cab with realistic looks and features

- Low pressure warning alarm / Fault (Stop) alarm

- Kneeling Suspension

- Deployable Ramp

- Opening/Closing Cab door

- Realistic Hanover Displays controller

- Working ticket machine (not sure which make yet)

- Working cab/passenger windows

- Openable emergency exit

- Realistically working interior lights (one side turns off when engine off etc.)

- Realistic Headlights

- Reverse Beeper

- Viewable CCTV system

- Accurate and realistic engine sounds (Euro 2 Trident), as well as realistic gearbox etc.

- Working / realistic hold gears and kickdown functions

- Engine bay doors and exterior access doors that open

These are only planned features and will most likely change, though I intend on putting as many of them in as I can. I will also make sure that the bus is optimised as best I can.

Comments? Suggestions? Questions? Then please do not hesitate to reply to this thread or feel free to drop me a message!

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

I wish you the best of luck for this project, i will keep tabs on this. be interesting to see how this turns out. :)

I recommend going over to one of @Lowlander21's streams on twitch when he's live-I reckon you'll find it very useful, especially when he's modelling something, like he was today. Nevertheless, I wish you good luck. Watch and read a few tutorials, and take your time :)

Thanks. I'm actually finding that once you have the resources, Blender is not that hard to work with. For example I am able to build it using the nets of the ALX400 I found and using them as background images really helps as you can get the angles and everything. I am following some tutorials that whistlehead supplied to me via a web link and thanks for the tip on watching Lowlanders stream. I really want to make this a good bus!

I've made quite some progress already and I will be uploading screenshots tomorrow!

Rob_Devs

All time legend/Salisbury Reds Driver
Jan 29, 2016
Salisbury, Wiltshre
Thanks. I'm actually finding that once you have the resources, Blender is not that hard to work with. For example I am able to build it using the nets of the ALX400 I found and using them as background images really helps as you can get the angles and everything. I am following some tutorials that whistlehead supplied to me via a web link and thanks for the tip on watching Lowlanders stream. I really want to make this a good bus!

I've made quite some progress already and I will be uploading screenshots tomorrow!

Fair enough. Just started blender my self for my Uk fictional map Bullington that im making. If you have them tutorials to hand, could you pm me. they might be useful. i sort of built my first house but need to know how to do textures and that. anyway, keep going at it, hopefully i will use it on my map as well

Robert

Fair enough. Just started blender my self for my Uk fictional map Bullington that im making. If you have them tutorials to hand, could you pm me. they might be useful. i sort of built my first house but need to know how to do textures and that. anyway, keep going at it, hopefully i will use it on my map as well

Robert

Sure, the link is: http://44090digitalmodels.co.uk/tutorials/blender1.html They are for something else, but you can apply the same tricks to OMSI. They are really helpful.

Rob_Devs

All time legend/Salisbury Reds Driver
Jan 29, 2016
Salisbury, Wiltshre

Advertisement

Toucan

Hmmm
Mar 28, 2016
-Realistic body shape

- Accurate Real Life size

- Working front, lateral and rear destination boards

- Working stop bell (Which is also interactive by player)

- Working Cab with realistic looks and features

- Low pressure warning alarm / Fault (Stop) alarm

- Kneeling Suspension

- Deployable Ramp

- Opening/Closing Cab door

- Realistic Hanover Displays controller

- Working ticket machine (not sure which make yet)

- Working cab/passenger windows

- Openable emergency exit

- Realistically working interior lights (one side turns off when engine off etc.)

- Realistic Headlights

- Reverse Beeper

- Viewable CCTV system

- Accurate and realistic engine sounds (Euro 2 Trident), as well as realistic gearbox etc.

- Working / realistic hold gears and kickdown functions

- Engine bay doors and exterior access doors that open

Ummmm wow thats alot for the Ticket Machine I'd like one of these:

And what display types are you going to use? Flipdot? LED? 

Good Luck -Toucan

Please what ever you do dont use peter fray nets as a helper as there horrendously wrong, i will see if i have any better Alx400 ones on my pc and PM you :D

They are good to use as a reference and to get an idea of the basics

Ummmm wow thats alot for the Ticket Machine I'd like one of these:

And what display types are you going to use? Flipdot? LED? 

Good Luck -Toucan

I shall see about adding in a Wayfarer TGX. My plan is to have an LED front screen and flip-dot side/rear, but knowing the limitations of OMSI, I may do LED all round.

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
In terms of accuracy, your best bet is a photograph of the real thing. Taken square-on with barrel distortion minimised or corrected and you can get close to an orthographic view of the vehicle. You can't get any more accurate than that unless you have the manufacturer's blueprints. I've avoided any sort of artwork because I've found it to be inaccurate in comparison to a photograph, I've even found manufacturer's own artwork to be inaccurate. If you're not too fussed about it being exactly right then you may well be able to get away with using a reference that's not quite perfect. :)

Advertisement

I

InterCity24

Those paper bus net's are way off the accurate dimensions for the ALX400. I would highly suggest contacting the ADL customer service department, where you'll be able to attain some good quality blueprints which will aid you with further progress on the vehicle. 

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
I personally wouldn't start a bus model from a cube, what I did with the NBfL/E400/Citaro, is I first started with a plain mesh, rotated it by -90 degrees via the X axis, then cut it in two and deleted one half of the mesh.

You would then add a mirror modifier and start constructing the whole bus from there by adding various loop slides and subdivides as well as manipulating the mesh to fit the front shape of the bus, then go onto working on the sides but don't implement the doors as yet as you will have to do that after the mirror modifier is applied.

Once you have your basic shape of the bus, then apply the modifier and start working on various details. 

It's a brief explanation, but I will extend how I did my process in a picture tutorial once I start working on future vehicles after the addon.

This tutorial helped me, to construct the basic shape of my vehicles

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread