Buses will randomly go black, how do I fix this? (1 Viewer)

Joshy

That Burnley bus person
Dec 26, 2017
Burnley, Lancashire
Pronouns
He/Him
Older buses aren't affected but newer ones like the Masterlite, E200MMC and the ALX400 in my game all suffer from what I call the "shadowing effect" where the buses will randomly go totally black but if you go close you can see the actual colours of the livery. Evidence of this problem can be seen below:
fcked up shadowing bus..PNG
fcked up shadowing bus 2.png

Reactions: OmniWink

Advertisement

Joshy

That Burnley bus person
Dec 26, 2017
Burnley, Lancashire
Pronouns
He/Him
try lowering the repaint size I know from other peoples posts that OMSI doesnt support 4K
This repaint isn't mine, I got it from here. That and added the fact that it doesn't just affect that bus and repaint, it effects most modern OMSI buses and it doesn't matter what repaint is on it.

Older buses aren't affected but newer ones like the Masterlite, E200MMC and the ALX400 in my game all suffer from what I call the "shadowing effect" where the buses will randomly go totally black but if you go close you can see the actual colours of the livery. Evidence of this problem can be seen below:
View attachment 57810View attachment 57811
I get this as well on Yorkshire

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
This a problem that only occurs with the 4GB Patch installed - OMSI can still run out of memory even with it installed, it just has issues like this rather than throwing error messages.

The fix is for bus developers to use DDS rather than PNG for their textures, and in particular to use smaller textures, especially for interior parts.

For comparison: a 4K 24-bit bitmap texture uses 64 MB of texture memory, but reducing it to 2K means it uses only 16 MB. It follows that reducing it further to 1K would mean it uses only 4 MB, and so on. If the 2K texture was instead a PNG texture, it would use 21.4 MB (regardless of bit depth), but as a DDS texture it would use only 16 MB even though all variants have some form of transparency support.

LOD meshes or configuring a bus to unload unimportant meshes when operating as AI also help a lot as unloading meshes also means the textures used on them can be unloaded. A grey blob can suffice for a dashboard in an AI bus, allowing all the dashboard models, textures and scripts to be unloaded.

Advertisement

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
View attachment 57810View attachment 57811
Also happened to me on a few occasions, and still does from time to time (because I've got the 4GB patch).
Particularly when I had more than 2 or so high-poly buses (like the ones you mentioned) spawned on the map (doesn't normally occur with the C400R for example). The solution I've found to this is quitting the game and opening it again. Hope this helps!

Albastru

Somebody stole my fantasy
Forum Moderator
Feb 11, 2018
Brighton & Hove, East Sussex, England
Pronouns
They/Them
Is there any way to solve this have masterdeck as ai vehicles as without having black textures?
Yes, if you limit the variety in your ai list and use low resolution textures for ai, it should improve your chances. I was able to get a pretty diverse ai list for WC3 but it does cause the player bus spawned in to go black as it prioritises ai. A reload fixes that most times.

Reactions: paintitazza

Advertisement

Albastru

Somebody stole my fantasy
Forum Moderator
Feb 11, 2018
Brighton & Hove, East Sussex, England
Pronouns
They/Them
is there a way to uninstall the patch?
I’m not sure why you’d want to given its benefit, but reinstalling omsi and I think verifying OMSI in steam will remove it too. You might have to delete the “omsi.exe” for it to patch properly int his case, however.

This thread is more than 2 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread