FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
@stc350 Here's a video of a brand new StreetLite. That means that all the sounds you hear are as it was designed, not mechanical faults caused by poor maintenance.

The first thing to note is that it sounds mostly the same as a Voith Enviro 200, i.e. always emitting a monotonous depressed whine, even when idling in neutral.
Next, note how immediately after up-shifts and at other times during heavy acceleration, there's a low growl. There's a similar but louder growl when the retarder kicks in. Neither of these are good noises, they seem to be to be indicative of some sort of bad vibration in the drive train. There's also some clunks when it downshifts, indicating they're not very smooth.
I don't have the video handy, but @whistlehead recorded one that was grating after every up-shift... also not a good sound.
There are also complaints about them being very rattly buses...

@Hullian111 No weirder than any other 3-axle single deck, just this time it's made by ADL in the same style as an E200MMC...

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I don't have the video handy, but @whistlehead recorded one that was grating after every up-shift... also not a good sound.

Ahhh, you mean this one?

Yeah, just listen to the acceleration from 1:30 onwards after the stop... And this is a Sapphire vehicle which is under two years old.

GNE's seem better than Arriva's, but the single worst element of the design is the emergency exit - the top corner of the door flops open over bumps and clatters shut again, and the curved body sides mean that a universal joint has been fitted halfway up the emergency release mechanism bar, creating yet more rattles - that's 99% of what you're hearing over the bumps. Don't sit within like three rows of the emergency exit if at all possible.

Again, some are better than others, but that only really speaks of inconsistent build quality more than anything.

Last edited:
Mmmmm...YUCK. Why do the swoops cross over the black rubber strips? Why is the website so dis-proportionally high? And again, blue as far as the eye can see, no black areas to even the color, such as between windows. Wha?
Arriva 2740
Jesus they've done and awful job on that like, Credit to Mark Haldon on Flickr for this photo Arriva2545 thats how we did it the advert is covering the web-address however.

Reactions: Jacobthebus

Hullian111

EYMS Buses Really Mean Business
Aug 5, 2017
... well, where do you think?!
4c7990ed77a23735b749479b5441dd4c.jpeg

(Courtesy of YouTube user FF3170)
What in transportation...

Reactions: Jacobthebus

Advertisement

Oct 30, 2016
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Pronouns
He/Him
View attachment 22260
(Courtesy of YouTube user FF3170)
What in transportation...
Ex China Light And Power (CLP) Leyland Olympians with new fronts. They were taken out of CLP use when CLP got Enviro500s.
5c6c19f05a741950dd7de3839522fc84.jpeg

Not my picture because it obviously isn't.

Still, the Xelabus effort looks better than the Mortons effort.
EWhlBJ7AyznHovj_7yToEekmIDjAj3dr.jpeg

Still not my picture.

May 22, 2016
Hong Kong
Pronouns
He/Him
Ex China Light And Power (CLP) Leyland Olympians with new fronts. They were taken out of CLP use when CLP got Enviro500s.
View attachment 22278

View attachment 22279
Still not my picture.

Still, giving credits to the appropriate person is important.Everyone should respect the copyright instead of just saying the pic is not from you.

Oct 30, 2016
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Pronouns
He/Him
View attachment 22278

View attachment 22279
Still not my picture.
Top photo: Sunny's Transport Photos
Bottom photo: megabus13601

Hullian111

Aug 5, 2017
Preservation news!
Screenshot_2017-12-17-14-13-09-1.png

An all-over wrap. :confusion:
EDIT: as it should be, pictured in 1997:
35991426013_7a84e59fb3_b.jpg

(image courtesy of Preselector on Flickr)
Looking at the Wikipedia page, it seems the company operate no stores in the UK. And checking the ALX400 article history, it seems this information was added three years ago, it has not been cited, and nothing has happened since then. Take this information carefully.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Hullian111

Aug 5, 2017
I wouldn't think it unlikely that, when presented with a bus-sized advert board in a popular museum, a clothing company wouldn't want to put some money towards the preservation of said bus to have their name be on that advert.
If they actually mean a regular-sized advert, I'd be happy to let that one slide. However, the article mentions an all-over wrap, which although it may have been funded by the company, doesn't really feel like the best way to preserve it. Maybe it's just some dodgy wording.

This whole debate confuses me - one YouTuber who shot a video of some Arriva driver trainers in a London depot doesn't even know where DLA1 is, and I haven't seen any photos of it from recent times. Surely, it must be coming to it's end of service now, being twenty years old next year.

Jul 1, 2016
Ahhh, you mean this one?

Yeah, just listen to the acceleration from 1:30 onwards after the stop... And this is a Sapphire vehicle which is under two years old.

GNE's seem better than Arriva's, but the single worst element of the design is the emergency exit - the top corner of the door flops open over bumps and clatters shut again, and the curved body sides mean that a universal joint has been fitted halfway up the emergency release mechanism bar, creating yet more rattles - that's 99% of what you're hearing over the bumps. Don't sit within like three rows of the emergency exit if at all possible.

Again, some are better than others, but that only really speaks of inconsistent build quality more than anything.

Seeing as you've compared a GNE StreetLite to the one you've filmed, I assume you were on an Arriva Durham County StreetLite? The maintenance at ADC is appalling, the ones we have North of the Tyne at Northumbria are maintained better, and perform a hell of a lot better than Durham's. Ours can get up a hill at more than 10mph too.

Go North East seem to have theirs set up for power too, whereas Arriva have set theirs up to be more eco-friendly.

Jul 1, 2016
Technically yes, the company has been in court and had their license revoked but they are applying for a new one on 31st of December the council have simply passed all their routes on to Arriva Buses Wales, Lloyds Coaches and some others but Express may return the council gave out the routes to save being in a big emergency if Express do get their new license however they'll probably have no routes let, some interesting fleet movements are coming up between the North West, Wrexham and Bangor :)

Just further note, Arriva St Helens have now received their new logos Pulsar 3047 and E400 4424 now carry new logos :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rrdhthms

Advertisement

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread