Bumpy Roads (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Apr 1, 2016
Dundee
Hello all - I'm looking to basically have a bumpy road but using the default asphalt texture. I'm not sure how you go about it - but I'm aware you do something with *.surf files?

Can anyone shed some light on how to do this please?

Many thanks

Ross

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
You'll have to duplicate the default texture, give it a different name, for example "asph_normal2.bmp", and then you'll need to create a file called "asph_normal2.bmp.cfg". Inside that cfg file, you put:

[moisture]

[surface] ... tells Omsi the kind of surface this texture has:
{type}
0: asphalt (standard)
1: concrete
2: cobllestone
3: dirt
4: grass
5: gravel
6: snow
7: deep snow

[surface]

Then, you can duplicate the spline, and assign that duplicate your modified texture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
@iomex nope. As far as I'm aware, the [surface] tag in the *.cfg file simply sets the traction on the surface. It definitely has no effect on how bumpy the surface is.

@ross4122 If you look in splines\Marcel\texture, you'll find "betonplatten.bmp". It's the concrete sets texture (left). You'll also see "betonplatten.bmp.surf". If you rename it so that it's a bmp file and open it, you find a red image (middle-left). What Omsi does is to take the red channel of the RGB colour and interpret 0 -> 255 as representing a surface elevation change of -2 -> +2 cm. The lighter red squares are therefore higher than the darker red squares, giving bumps at the changes in colour. Middle-right is the cobbles surf file, and far right is the DDR patchy road surf file. :)  (This is also how I "fixed" or at least reduced the bump on my marking splines. They all have black surf files (which don't have to be the same resolution as the main texture btw) so that the "bump" is 2 cm lower, in most cases below the main road level. :) )

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
hmm I managed to strip 'bumpiness' using the method I posted above back when I first made iomexLH - so I'm going to guess that by doing this I inadvertently deleted the surf file.

That's a surprisingly forward-thinking method of handling uneven road surfaces on the part of M-R and something I'll definitely utilize when I come round to upgrading my roads pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread