Maps City of Bristol (1 Viewer)

Title1.png

Welcome.png
Discord: Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

Background.png

Bristol Airport is the South West's main airport handling more than 8 million passengers (2017) per year. Main operators at the airport include easyJet, Ryanair, TUI, Thomas Cook, BMI Regional, and others. The current terminal opened in 2000 and has undergone many expansion projects throughout the year. With the most recent ones being the expanded departure lounge (2015), new security search comb (2016) and the expanded arrivals and immigration hall (2017/2018).
The airport has one runway designated 09/27.
Map.png

This map is my first map that I am creating so I am mainly creating this map to allow myself to get to know the OMSI creation tools. However, I am willing to follow a plan to get this map done.
The map will be an accurate re-creation of Bristol Airport.
For initial release, the map will consist of just the airport, car parks and the surrounding roads. There will be a number of routes as follows:
  • Silver Zone Shuttle:
    • Silver Zone car park - Old Terminal - New Terminal
    • New Terminal - Silver Zone car park
  • Long stay Shuttle:
    • Long stay car park (various stops) - New Terminal
    • New Terminal - Long stay car park (various stops)
  • Staff Shuttle:
    • New Terminal - Old Terminal - Staff Car Park
    • Staff Car Park - Old Terminal - New Terminal
These routes are operated using the Mercedes-Benz Citaros.
There is a custom Bristol Airport shuttle repaint for these buses which is currently available for download here: Bristol Airport Repaint

When (and if) the initial release is complete, I will work to implement the different bus services that operate to and from the airport. Each route will be published in it's each individual update.
The additional routes planned is as follows:
  • A1 Airport Flyer (operated by First):
    • Bristol Bus Station - Bristol Temple Meads - Redcliffe Way - Bedminster Parade - Parson Street - Bridgewater Road - Bristol Airport
  • A3 Airport Flyer (operated by First):
    • Weston-Super-Mare - Worle - Hewish - Congresbury - Cleeve - Brockley - Downside - Bristol Airport
  • A4 Air Decker (operated by Bath Bus Company):
    • Bath - Saltford - Keynsham - South Bristol - Bristol Airport
More information on the A1 and A3 can be found here.
More information on the A4 can be found here.

There is currently no release date set.
Screenshots.png

Current progress of the map can be found below and I will post updates in this thread when they become available.
Omsi_2018-08-16_18-52-33.png

Omsi_2018-08-21_15-55-55.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-21_15-56-26.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-21_15-56-58.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-22_18-39-02.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-23_19-24-38.jpg

Omsi_2018-08-24_11-38-54.jpg

I'm always open for feedback and suggestions. :)
Credits.png

Entire map currently made by FirstEnviro
Some assets made by third party authors which will be available in the readme in final release.

BRSLogo.png

Last edited:

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah that's the only issue and is what will take the most time. I've quite confident in using Blender anyway so creating the assets myself shouldn't be an issue. The issue would be trying to import it into OMSI correctly with textures. The last time I tried it the asset imported massive and the texture wouldn't load on it.

I might be able to help you with that - I'm streaming right now so I can illustrate live if you like

Advertisement

FirstEnviro

Developer of the Studio Polygon [Redacted]
Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Yes, 100% - you can probably just skip to the bits about materials and exporting, by the sounds of things you don't need to know any of the very basic modelling and UV mapping I covered :)
Awesome, I need to pop out now so I can't tune in but I'll skip through that video when I get the chance.
Cheers.

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
It's.... up... up... up... up... up... up... up... UPDATE TIME!!

The road outside the main terminal has been added where all the buses/taxis park and alight. The road to the left is the road which any vehicle can use and connects to the drop off car park.
1532974587104.png

1532974825183.png

1532974635340.png

1532974654116.png

This is where the entrance to long stay and premier parking is.
1532974695478.png

1532974706091.png

The tracks for the roundabout by the old terminal are in place.
1532974739983.png

Some good progress overall and there is some decent size on the map now.
1532974801063.png

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
I've been busy today so haven't had a lot of time to work on the map.

I'm currently working on the junction to the Silver Zone car park. This means I only now need to do the roads in the car park and then all roads for the Silver Zone route will be complete.

Here's the progress on the junction.
1533059917958.png

1533059933048.png

Reactions: MatthewHarrison49

Advertisement

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
Just a piece of advice with the pathing - I notice that there are some segments with a somewhat tight radius. OMSI AI reacts a little too dramatically to curves, they slow to a crawl almost. For example, in the above screenshot of the roundabout, I notice you have a path segment on the nearside lane on the left side which snaps round to the right somewhat abrubtly - AI will slow to a walking pace to navigate that. Try to smooth out turns as much as you possibly can, using as much length of the road as you possible can. Remember, drivers IRL tend to cut corners and turn in a little too early.

Secondly, roundabouts are a bit of a pain so I'll give you a few tips I've learned.

You may have pathed the roundabout in a manner such as this:

1533075204152.png

If this is the case, AI can join and exit at any time, which means they might turn right from the left lane, left from the right lane, or (more likely) endlessly circle the roundabout.

However, if you path it like this:

1533075254166.png

(If you can understand the diagram) where each possible 'trip' through the junction has its own set of paths (which offer no possibility to join another path), then cars will only ever take a route you specifically dictate. In the above example, the grey and black lines have their path segment joins at different places, so there's no chance for AI to switch from grey to black or vice versa.

Additionally, one thing to consider is that the path segments circulating the roundabout ought to have a short segment directly opposite an entrance. Then you ought to increase the path width, so that the path 'touches' the area where you want AI vehicles to hold while they want to enter the roundabout. Basically, AI will drive very close to an intersecting path they're yielding for. On a roundabout, this means they will almost always drive most of the way in to the roundabout to wait. By creating a short, very wide segment, they 'see' the path earlier, and will wait at its edge which is now at the edge of the roundabout. It is important to remember to set these segments to signal 'off', as AI indicating will align towards the edge of the path segment they're on (on such a wide segment, this may cause them to swerve to meet the new wider edge, then swerve back). If you find AI approaches too quickly and therefore misses the 'yield', introduce a short segment on approach with a low speed limit (say, 10kmh).

There is a lot of trial and error involved with this, but it is the only way for AI to behave in a vaguely realistic manner. I achieved this rather well in the BotW Legacy Edition Beta, which is no longer available to download.

A final consideration is to omit paths from certain directions if they are proving troublesome.

Reactions: Ross

Kaci

Reverseidle Cheesy
Feb 19, 2016
The car park shuttles, operated by Bristol Airport, uses the Mercedes-Benz Citaros.
The A1, operated by First, uses the E400MMC.
The A3, operated by First, uses the E200MMC and Streetlite.
The A4, operated by Bath Bus Company, uses the B5TL MCV, B9TL MCV, B7TL ALX400 and B9TL Wright Gemini 2.

The A1 and A3 can sometimes have some other First buses used for busier periods.
When the London Addon comes out, I will happily help out by making a AirDecker repaint for the Evoseti as I already have assets to do so from my ALX400 Airdecker repaint which is due a refresh as I missed a few details.

Advertisement

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Just a piece of advice with the pathing - I notice that there are some segments with a somewhat tight radius. OMSI AI reacts a little too dramatically to curves, they slow to a crawl almost. For example, in the above screenshot of the roundabout, I notice you have a path segment on the nearside lane on the left side which snaps round to the right somewhat abrubtly - AI will slow to a walking pace to navigate that. Try to smooth out turns as much as you possibly can, using as much length of the road as you possible can. Remember, drivers IRL tend to cut corners and turn in a little too early.

Secondly, roundabouts are a bit of a pain so I'll give you a few tips I've learned.

You may have pathed the roundabout in a manner such as this:

View attachment 32495

If this is the case, AI can join and exit at any time, which means they might turn right from the left lane, left from the right lane, or (more likely) endlessly circle the roundabout.

However, if you path it like this:

View attachment 32496
(If you can understand the diagram) where each possible 'trip' through the junction has its own set of paths (which offer no possibility to join another path), then cars will only ever take a route you specifically dictate. In the above example, the grey and black lines have their path segment joins at different places, so there's no chance for AI to switch from grey to black or vice versa.

Additionally, one thing to consider is that the path segments circulating the roundabout ought to have a short segment directly opposite an entrance. Then you ought to increase the path width, so that the path 'touches' the area where you want AI vehicles to hold while they want to enter the roundabout. Basically, AI will drive very close to an intersecting path they're yielding for. On a roundabout, this means they will almost always drive most of the way in to the roundabout to wait. By creating a short, very wide segment, they 'see' the path earlier, and will wait at its edge which is now at the edge of the roundabout. It is important to remember to set these segments to signal 'off', as AI indicating will align towards the edge of the path segment they're on (on such a wide segment, this may cause them to swerve to meet the new wider edge, then swerve back). If you find AI approaches too quickly and therefore misses the 'yield', introduce a short segment on approach with a low speed limit (say, 10kmh).

There is a lot of trial and error involved with this, but it is the only way for AI to behave in a vaguely realistic manner. I achieved this rather well in the BotW Legacy Edition Beta, which is no longer available to download.

A final consideration is to omit paths from certain directions if they are proving troublesome.

Thanks so much for the detailed advice and tips. I did try to make corners as smooth as possible but that one didn't solve correctly and I will look at getting that fixed.

I never thought about doing the roundabouts in that way as I thought it would be a lot of splinea required but at the same time it could also make the roundabout smoother. The next roundabout I make I will definitely try that approach and see how it goes. Never know until I try it.

Thanks again.

When the London Addon comes out, I will happily help out by making a AirDecker repaint for the Evoseti as I already have assets to do so from my ALX400 Airdecker repaint which is due a refresh as I missed a few details.

Awesome! I probably won't end up doing the entire route for the A4 yet as it's quite a long route and will take a lot of time to do. However I might make it a short AI route to get some more buses in the map so this could be a good option.

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Oh, that's a point. I was assuming that you were using the crossing editor to create the paths, but you mention splines. Which method are you using?

I can't for the life of me work out the crossing editor and the spline method seems easier for me to use and as of yet I'm yet to run into any issues with it. Its a method that's working for me at the moment.

iomex

UKDT
Dec 10, 2015
Yeh you'll want to not do that. AI traffic using invis_street splines is effectively uncontrollable, and traffic on each spline will not communicate with traffic on another spline. You can't make them yield, basically, or stop, and they merge through each other (and the human driver).

However, laying out the paths with the spline is a good way to get a template for what to put in to the crossing editor.

FirstEnviro

Studio Polygon
Nov 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Yeh you'll want to not do that. AI traffic using invis_street splines is effectively uncontrollable, and traffic on each spline will not communicate with traffic on another spline. You can't make them yield, basically, or stop, and they merge through each other (and the human driver).
Right I'll just have to try and figure out crossing editor and scrap all the current junctions and start from scratch. I was using splines as it was easier to follow with the map and get sizing correct.

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread