BotW3 (1 Viewer)

botwv3logo_800.png

c0879eb92ccf39c4e045ef3ec093a636.png

This thread replaces the old one in this subforum in order to help clear any confusion with this project and its direction - given the amount of changes that have happened in recent months. Therefore, we would like to start again with a clean slate. Please disregard anything you've seen or read previously in order to prevent confusion.

BotW is a fictional representation of the south Devon area of England, set in the current era. The current public version of the map is v2.9 - which features the 35 connecting Totnes with Paignton. Note - this route does not exist in real life.

The next version of the map will be v3 - which will feature a heavily improved version of the 35, as well as an expansion of routes.

Although every effort is made to consider the performance impact of this map, it is intended to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible, and thus not recommended for low-spec systems.

OLD: Version 2.9: Buses of the Westcountry (BotW)
Version 3.0 is still work-in-progress, and therefore unavailable for download.

c0879eb92ccf39c4e045ef3ec093a636.jpeg

Updates will by posted by team members undertaking the work

Last edited:

LeylandNationalStagecoach

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Lol. You must admit they are doing a great job. Are they still merging Cotterell and BoTW together? Or is that just going to be a massive lag bomb?
No, I don't think they are. (although a 100 mile motorway section would sound like a lot of fun)
From what I know, they're going to release BotW v3 for free on Steam. :)
Then, they're going to release an extension for Cotterell, and another for BotW v3 also on Steam, but as payware.
I don't know if this is still accurate today, the info I have is from a few months ago.

Advertisement

UKDT

UKDT
Apr 1, 2016
We have now completed the roadways and first draft scenery for the map. Please find below a whole.roadmap, which has been generously annotated by @0118999 showing street names and locales.

You may notice that street names and some locales have been changed. Given that this is virtually a whole new map (there is only one tiny section that lives from BotW 2.9), we felt we may as well start afresh with the names. Of course, Paignton, Totnes and Berry Pomeroy are key features so we have not renamed them. The names you see are fictionalized versions of real life equivalents. Now unfortunately this does mean that text on some repaints may become incorrect, as could some destie mods - for this we apologize - and remind you that if you want to provide new versions in the future, that you should clearly mark them for BotW 2.9 or 3.

Regarding routes - this is still not finalized, however we have a good idea of where we're going with this:

• 35: Totnes Rail Station <-> Paignton Promenade, via: Totnes Bus Station (located on Convent Avenue), Totnes School of Technology and the Arts (TSTA)(Castle Roundabout), Berry Pomeroy, Thornford Regis, Paignton Royal Hospital, Totnes Road

• X35: Totnes Bus Station <-> Paignton Promenade, via: TSTA, Paignton Royal Hospital (direct), South Beach Junction

• P+R: Paignton Park & Ride <-> Paignton Promenade, via South Beach Junction

• 12: Paignton Promenade <-> Stoneley Harbour

• 323: Totnes Castle <-> Morrisons Supermarket (Totnes), via: Totnes Bus Station and Totnes Rail Station
As mentioned above, as usual this is a free release. We are looking to release it both on Steam and on here. At some point in the future, we will be adding further routes as part of a payware expansion. When this happens, the free version will also be updated and will receive one or two new routes as well. To remind you, we dropped the idea of linking Cotterell with BotW many, many, many months ago as it would be a huge undertaking.

We have also built into the map the facilities for pickup and set down at schools throughout the map, so we may consider scheduling in school services as well. Of course, there are plenty of landmarks in the map, so you can always create your own charter trips if you wish. Totnes Castle, and Berry Pomeroy (Gateway to the moors) are two suggested destinations. The seafront at Paignton has many hotels, and there are caravan parks dotting the route down to Stoneley.

Regarding further development: Although the roads are now in place along with the scenery, we are still very much in the early stages. The scenery is only of first draft quality, there's a much higher standard we want to get from this map, and there are many tasks left to complete - retexturing buildings, pathing everything, bug fixing, signage, custom assets and so on.

1566871487503.png

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
We have now completed the roadways and first draft scenery for the map. Please find below a whole.roadmap, which has been generously annotated by @0118999 showing street names and locales.

You may notice that street names and some locales have been changed. Given that this is virtually a whole new map (there is only one tiny section that lives from BotW 2.9), we felt we may as well start afresh with the names. Of course, Paignton, Totnes and Berry Pomeroy are key features so we have not renamed them. The names you see are fictionalized versions of real life equivalents. Now unfortunately this does mean that text on some repaints may become incorrect, as could some destie mods - for this we apologize - and remind you that if you want to provide new versions in the future, that you should clearly mark them for BotW 2.9 or 3.

Regarding routes - this is still not finalized, however we have a good idea of where we're going with this:

• 35: Totnes Rail Station <-> Paignton Promenade, via: Totnes Bus Station (located on Convent Avenue), Totnes School of Technology and the Arts (TSTA)(Totnes Castle Roundabout), Berry Pomeroy, Thornford Regis, Paignton Royal Hospital, Totnes Road

• X35: Totnes Bus Station <-> Paignton Promenade, via: TSTA, Paignton Royal Hospital (direct), West Beach Junction

• P+R: Paignton Park & Ride <-> Paignton Promenade, via West Beach Junction

• 323: Totnes Castle <-> Morrisons Supermarket (Totnes), via: Totnes Bus Station and Totnes Rail Station
As mentioned above, as usual this is a free release. We are looking to release it both on Steam and on here. At some point in the future, we will be adding further routes as part of a payware expansion. When this happens, the free version will also be updated and will receive one or two new routes as well. To remind you, we dropped the idea of linking Cotterell with BotW many, many, many months ago as it would be a huge undertaking.

We have also built into the map the facilities for pickup and set down at schools throughout the map, so we may consider scheduling in school services as well. Of course, there are plenty of landmarks in the map, so you can always create your own charter trips if you wish. Totnes Castle, and Berry Pomeroy (Gateway to the moors) are two suggested destinations. The seafront at Paignton has many hotels, and there are caravan parks dotting the route down to Stoneley.

Regarding further development: Although the roads are now in place along with the scenery, we are still very much in the early stages. The scenery is only of first draft quality, there's a much higher standard we want to get from this map, and there are many tasks left to complete - retexturing buildings, pathing everything, bug fixing, signage, custom assets and so on.

View attachment 51308
Absolutely outstanding! :eek:
I honestly love every bit of it!
Although you have covered a lot of questions I had, I do have a few questions left to ask you. :)
  1. The map seems huge now! I know it's more than one route, but even the 35 route alone seems longer – is it?
  2. The motorway that goes across the picture, will it become usable? If not, I don't really see the point in making it stretch across the entire map, unless it's just for RP purposes for people who, say, want to use the Levante.
  3. At the beginning of Fulleylove's stream on BotW v3 [6:00], he started off the journey from the small town called Lymequay. Is there no Stoneley Bus Station or something similar to that, or is that Lymequay?
  4. From what I have gathered, Colstead is supposed to be the fictionalised version of Bridgetown, Thornford Regis is Collaton St. Mary (just further away from Paignton), South Beach is Torre Abbey Sands (in Torquay, in real life), Ferncombe is Goodrington, Rodwick Down is Churston, and Stoneley is Brixham – is this correct?
  5. I couldn't find Paignton Zoo or Tweenaway Cross on the map. Were they cut?
  6. Also, I'd like to see where the River Dart would be on this map. In real life, it flows through Totnes, and then south-east, passing Stoke Gabriel, Dittisham and Dartmouth and then it leads into the sea at Kingswear. Since the map of BotW v3 is very much re-arranged from real life, I'd like to see where it would be. I have drawn the water onto the map and rotated it, and I would like to know if my assumption is correct.
1566871487503_question.png

And also, can I just say – I love the way you actually named practically every single street on the map! Wow!
But those questions aside, I absolutely love the current BotW, and I use the route in real life all the time (just yesterday in fact), BotW v3 is looking absolutely astonishing, I'm really looking forward to being able to drive on all the routes.
Thank you very much, UKDT, for making this outstanding map.

georgeloxton02

MendipXplorer veg
Apr 20, 2018
Somerset

• 35: Totnes Rail Station <-> Paignton Promenade, via: Totnes Bus Station (located on Convent Avenue), Totnes School of Technology and the Arts (TSTA)(Totnes Castle Roundabout), Berry Pomeroy, Thornford Regis, Paignton Royal Hospital, Totnes Road

• X35: Totnes Bus Station <-> Paignton Promenade, via: TSTA, Paignton Royal Hospital (direct), West Beach Junction

View attachment 51308
This is looking stunning! I cant wait to drive around this huge map! I also love that there are places for charter trips meaning there is finally a use for the Levante & my upcoming plaxton pack!

UKDT

UKDT
Apr 1, 2016
@leyland -

1: No, but it is slower owing to a bit more twisting and turning it has to do.
2: The DC was going to be utilized in this version, but as it'll take ages to sort out, that'll be for later so we've just left it in for now.
3: Correct, remember the names of all but tot, pgn, and bpm have all been changed.
4: Pretty much, yes.
5: Tweenaway Cross has had its name changed, and the junction converted into a roundabout with flyover.
6: The map is a good effort, but you are forgetting a few things: BotW is a fictionalized parody of the area, it's not really supposed to accurately reflect the geography or topography past a 'general theme'. You've already correctly noticed that the map isn't even oriented correctly. In addition, you wouldn't really see that water from the route anyway.

However, what I can say on that is the 525 route for the next version will be your garden variety C-road type of route which will run roughly to where the River Dart is in your map and eventually end up at Stoneley. We'd be putting a few callbacks to the likes of Kingswear and Greenway House along the way.

Advertisement

Street cleaner
Forum Moderator
FF Council
UKDT
Premium Subscriber
Oct 24, 2016
  1. From what I have gathered, Colstead is supposed to be the fictionalised version of Bridgetown, Thornford Regis is Collaton St. Mary (just further away from Paignton), South Beach is Torre Abbey Sands (in Torquay, in real life), Ferncombe is Goodrington, Rodwick Down is Churston, and Stoneley is Brixham – is this correct?
And also, can I just say – I love the way you actually named practically every single street on the map! Wow!
Whilst BOTW is West Country themed and inspired it's evolved over many years from a fictional base, thus the decision was taken to rename most places, especially those that have been heavily changed over previous versions, as the road arrangements and topography aren't always directly relatable to any real life places, although they maybe representative of somewhere that inspired them.

Try not to get too hung up tying these fictional places into reality, especially individual streets, but broadly:
  • Colstead is Bridgetown mixed in with Shiner's Bridge and Follaton
  • Thornford Regis is the name C C Benison gave to the fictionalised Stoke Gabriel in his novels.
  • Palemount is where White Hill was in BOTW2 but is much changed.
  • As Iomex said, Tweenaway is now Middant and Collaton St Mary has kinda merged into that.
  • Ferncombe, Rodwick Down and Stoneley you deduced correctly.
  • Lymequay is hiding away in a corner of the map!

Do note the map is provisional alpha and subject to change; side roads will come and go or be renamed as the character of them evolves (you will note West Beach junction is by South Beach o_O)

Last edited:
Reactions: owen6116

junaid1510

Join my discord: https://discord.gg/QB5bbH4gv9
Oct 20, 2016
Willesden, London

View attachment 51308
will you give us a drive preview of the current state of the map?

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
–UKDT–

@leyland -

1: No, but it is slower owing to a bit more twisting and turning it has to do.
2: The DC was going to be utilized in this version, but as it'll take ages to sort out, that'll be for later so we've just left it in for now.
3: Correct, remember the names of all but tot, pgn, and bpm have all been changed.
4: Pretty much, yes.
5: Tweenaway Cross has had its name changed, and the junction converted into a roundabout with flyover.
6: The map is a good effort, but you are forgetting a few things: BotW is a fictionalized parody of the area, it's not really supposed to accurately reflect the geography or topography past a 'general theme'. You've already correctly noticed that the map isn't even oriented correctly. In addition, you wouldn't really see that water from the route anyway.

However, what I can say on that is the 525 route for the next version will be your garden variety C-road type of route which will run roughly to where the River Dart is in your map and eventually end up at Stoneley. We'd be putting a few callbacks to the likes of Kingswear and Greenway House along the way.
–0118999–

Whilst BOTW is West Country themed and inspired it's evolved over many years from a fictional base, thus the decision was taken to rename most places, especially those that have been heavily changed over previous versions, as the road arrangements and topography aren't always directly relatable to any real life places, although they maybe representative of somewhere that inspired them.

Try not to get too hung up tying these fictional places into reality, especially individual streets, but broadly:
  • Colstead is a mixture of Follaton and Shinner's Bridge.
  • Thornford Regis is the name C C Benison gave to the fictionalised Stoke Gabriel in his novels.
  • Palemount is where White Hill was in BOTW2 but is much changed.
  • As Iomex said, Tweenaway is now Middant and Collaton St Mary has kinda merged into that.
  • Ferncombe, Rodwick Down and Stoneley you deduced correctly.
  • Lymequay is hiding away in a corner of the map!

Do note the map is provisional alpha and subject to change; side roads will come and go or be renamed as the character of them evolves (you will note West Beach junction is by South Beach o_O)
@UKDT @0118999 Thank you so so much for the detailed responses!

@UKDT You're right, BotW is fictionalised and is not supposed to be real. It's just because I live in the exact region of BotW that I try to imagine the real life into it haha ????

Also, I'm really looking forward to the 525! Kingswear and Greenway House sounds absolutely amazing! Been to both places, Kingswear I've been to much much more often though. :)

@0118999

Okay, I understand that. I'll try to not get hung up on that in the future.
Also, about Colstead, that's so awesome!
Funnily enough, I walked past Follaton today, and waited for the 35 gold at Shinner's Bridge (Dartington) to take me back home haha ????
And the bit about Thornford Regis is also a really nice touch! Never read Benison's novels, or even heard of him for that matter, but still! :D
Also yes, I spotted Lymequay! ????
Yes, I saw! West beach junction by south beach! ????

But all jokes aside, I really love BotW and I wish you the best of luck with v3.
Thank you very much for these detailed in-depth answers.

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
I keep trying to make a map myself but give up - one day. This looks good, been a fan of it since posting on the omsi forum.
Hope paintworks for the Masterswitch buses will also accompany this map.

Developer
Outreach
Jun 28, 2018
Fayton Heath, Caldshire
Can we have a progress update please :)
To be honest, I'd really love one too.
But, as I don't want to ask for something that is:
1) Against the forum rules, and
2) Won't give you any more info anyway, I'm not asking this question.
For more updates, as @ROBLOX Bus Simulators has already said, I'd suggest checking UKDT's Facebook page every now and then.
I don't really use social media (not got Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest accounts), so I don't really check it all that often, but still.
Hope this helps! :)

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread