Maps Blackpool (1 Viewer)

Welcome to my map for OMSI of Blackpool and the surrounding areas served by Blackpool Transport. The map is based around 2011 and will be as close to the real thing as I can get it.

Initially the map will focus on the Line 3 which runs between Mereside Tesco and Cleveleys Park. As time goes on I will add more lines, but am focusing on the Line 3 to begin with.

hmpBfo1igaGSwj8IXmzjeWCnXdXSqcuV.jpeg

I have started work at Tesco Mereside and am working towards the town centre and then onwards towards Bispham and then Cleveleys.

In real life the Line 3 operated using Optare Solos, however as there are no legal Optare Solos out there, I have repainted the Enviro 200 for now.

Tesco Mereside

Langdale Road

Cherry Tree Road/Cherry Tree Road N

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Onionwolf

Master of the Bodge
Jan 18, 2016
Looking good Blackpool_OMSI
There is a couple things you can do to improve the map. Regarding the sceneryobjects and the textures, you used the default sketchup textures that look really off-putting. I would suggest using textures.com for textures since they will be a higher quality and will look nicer on the sceneryobjects. Also you might want to realign some textures as well since they are slanted. Also with the crossings it might be better to stay away from using IomexLH/Addon simplestreet crossings (These are any crossings in the iomexLH pack) since it would be better to make a spline-constructed crossing. Which would make the map more realistic but unfortunately these crossings take longer to build.

Sep 12, 2016
Looking good Blackpool_OMSI
There is a couple things you can do to improve the map. Regarding the sceneryobjects and the textures, you used the default sketchup textures that look really off-putting. I would suggest using textures.com for textures since they will be a higher quality and will look nicer on the sceneryobjects. Also you might want to realign some textures as well since they are slanted. Also with the crossings it might be better to stay away from using IomexLH/Addon simplestreet crossings (These are any crossings in the iomexLH pack) since it would be better to make a spline-constructed crossing. Which would make the map more realistic but unfortunately these crossings take longer to build.

Thanks, I know the textures arnt the best, Ill have a look at that website and see about replacing them! Just looked better than nothing for now anyway!

I assume you mean the shopping parade? I need to fix them, theyve been a bit of a nightmare and I just gave up with them and figured I'd fix it later on!

Ive just been using the Iomex junctions for now as they fit in with whats there in the real world. I am however going to have to make my own junction, for example for this junction here

Even better world be to take the photos for yourself, a decent phone camera will do the trick, then you can use GIMP2 to correct the perspective

I'd love to be able to do that but Blackpool is a good 60 miles away from where I live, so trips there are few and far between! I may end up taking a day trip there and getting some missing textures but for now google streetview will have to do.

Advertisement

Sep 12, 2016
Made some more progress, mainly placing houses etc along residental roads.
Started work on one of the large junctions. Luckily enough one of the default junctions was a pretty close match, so managed to recycle that. Took me an hour or so just to work out the traffic light sequence, but getting there now laying down road markings etc.

oxB3qPz9YZFl7eN5UY2baJJ7xvh4DmZ6.jpeg
oxB3qPz9YZFl7eN5UY2baJJ7xvh4DmZ6.jpegoxB3qPz9YZFl7eN5UY2baJJ7xvh4DmZ6.jpeg
oxB3qPz9YZFl7eN5UY2baJJ7xvh4DmZ6.jpegoxB3qPz9YZFl7eN5UY2baJJ7xvh4DmZ6.jpeg

Also been laying payment to finish the corners off

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Unitt

Advertisement

D

Deleted member 422

@Blackpool_OMSI, its looking good, although in the second screenshot, there seems to be 2 layers of pavement in the middle? This wastes polygons and if you continue doing this, the map will start to lag and loose performance. Do just be careful about having too many curved splines, and seeing as they are on top of each other, one can surely be removed. :)

Reactions: Kirkby_Solo

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
I'd probably make the buildings more 3d too. Such as defining shop fronts, wall ledges etc...

For some of the textures, although you're not in Blackpool, it could be worth taking a few pics of your local shop fronts as some textures can be transferable. Would also probably plan a trip to Blackpool to take many photo textures and get the referencing as realistic as you're able to.

Great start however for a first map!

Sep 12, 2016
@Blackpool_OMSI, its looking good, although in the second screenshot, there seems to be 2 layers of pavement in the middle? This wastes polygons and if you continue doing this, the map will start to lag and loose performance. Do just be careful about having too many curved splines, and seeing as they are on top of each other, one can surely be removed. :)

Its actually a scenery object underneath. I used a pre exisiting junction and it had grass in the middle so I've overlayed the concrete as a spline on top.

I'd probably make the buildings more 3d too. Such as defining shop fronts, wall ledges etc...

For some of the textures, although you're not in Blackpool, it could be worth taking a few pics of your local shop fronts as some textures can be transferable. Would also probably plan a trip to Blackpool to take many photo textures and get the referencing as realistic as you're able to.

Great start however for a first map!

Thanks, I've started to try and make them more 3D rather than just a box, trying to trade off 3D buildings for a low poly count for performance though!

Reactions: Deleted member 422

Rhys

Add-on London Team
Mar 20, 2016
Its actually a scenery object underneath. I used a pre exisiting junction and it had grass in the middle so I've overlayed the concrete as a spline on top.

Thanks, I've started to try and make them more 3D rather than just a box, trying to trade off 3D buildings for a low poly count for performance though!
Indeed mate, well one way I've found easier (assuming you're using blender as well) is using the knife tool to cut out the shape of shop details of the building once you've textured it, then extrude it to the ideal shape you like. Keeps poly count down too

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread