Maps Blackpool (1 Viewer)

Welcome to my map for OMSI of Blackpool and the surrounding areas served by Blackpool Transport. The map is based around 2011 and will be as close to the real thing as I can get it.

Initially the map will focus on the Line 3 which runs between Mereside Tesco and Cleveleys Park. As time goes on I will add more lines, but am focusing on the Line 3 to begin with.

hmpBfo1igaGSwj8IXmzjeWCnXdXSqcuV.jpeg

I have started work at Tesco Mereside and am working towards the town centre and then onwards towards Bispham and then Cleveleys.

In real life the Line 3 operated using Optare Solos, however as there are no legal Optare Solos out there, I have repainted the Enviro 200 for now.

Tesco Mereside

Langdale Road

Cherry Tree Road/Cherry Tree Road N

Last edited by a moderator:

Advertisement

Hi, It is looking very good, nice to see you have gone for the New Road Layout of the Town Centre, totally baffles me, you turn out of the railway station and meet cars etc coming head on at you where they had never done so for the previous 35yrs.

You are doing a fantastic job, keep up the good work, all you need to add to the town centre now is all the homeless and druggies.....lol........Fantastic work.

Reactions: Kirkby_Solo
Sep 12, 2016
Hi, It is looking very good, nice to see you have gone for the New Road Layout of the Town Centre, totally baffles me, you turn out of the railway station and meet cars etc coming head on at you where they had never done so for the previous 35yrs.

You are doing a fantastic job, keep up the good work, all you need to add to the town centre now is all the homeless and druggies.....lol........Fantastic work.

Thanks! If you look back in this thread you'll see I did actually make it as was as my map was originally going to be set around 2006 in the "Metro Coastlines" era but I have since moved to a more recent map as it's easier with better street view and up to date timetables on the BTS website!

I did visit Blackpool about a year ago and got lost trying to navigate the town centre! Wasn't what I remember from when I lived there!

Reactions: Rhys
D

Deleted member 422

Just a couple of things I noticed while watching that video, none of your crossings seem to have drop kerbs? Most pedestrian junctions in the UK tend to see the kerb dropping down and sloped so the pavement meets the tarmac with little drop on the edge. This can easily be done on straight kerbs, as Roadhog has kindly made some prefab ones, available to download somewhere in the downloads section. There seems to be a lack of gradients in the map, from what I can see, there is none, however this could just be my perception of it :) There seems to be a few flickering textures along the map. I am fairly sure you know how to fix that, but if not, just ask. Lastly, I notice a 2D fence spline, next to the roadside. I remember someone once telling Rhys (sorry whoever it was) that getting some of Road-Hog's smaller poles, and attaching them to the fence, over the poles, gives it a more 3D look, if that makes sense. Other than that, it is fairly impressive, considering you have built the majority of the buildings. Keep that up :)

Sep 12, 2016
none of your crossings seem to have drop kerbs? Most pedestrian junctions in the UK tend to see the kerb dropping down and sloped so the pavement meets the tarmac with little drop on the edge. This can easily be done on straight kerbs, as Roadhog has kindly made some prefab ones, available to download somewhere in the downloads section.

This is mainly becuase I'm lazy, and just added in the pavement with the red dot floor with the thought of refinining it later

There seems to be a lack of gradients in the map, from what I can see, there is none, however this could just be my perception of it :) There seems to be a few flickering textures along the map. I am fairly sure you know how to fix that, but if not, just ask.

Blackpool is actually quite flat anyway, and post of the roads which my map have used so far are flat, there are a few minor gradients but as I couldn't get the DEM data to import when I first started I figured it could just stay flat. This is the only section (so far) with a minor gradient Google Maps and I figured Id just keep it flat. Later on in the route, there is a bigger hill which I will implement, here (Google Maps) and here (Google Maps)

Lastly, I notice a 2D fence spline, next to the roadside. I remember someone once telling Rhys (sorry whoever it was) that getting some of Road-Hog's smaller poles, and attaching them to the fence, over the poles, gives it a more 3D look, if that makes sense. Other than that, it is fairly impressive, considering you have built the majority of the buildings. Keep that up :)

Do you mean these?

upload_2017-8-9_10-19-49.png

There are actually 3D ones included in Road-hog123s pack, and I may swap them out but these are just easier to place for the time being, again becuase im lazy!

Advertisement

D

Deleted member 422

No need to be patronising, I was showing it as an example to illustrate my point as I've used a number of "fence" splines throughout the map, trying to ascertain which ones you were referring to
Read his post again, he says that there are 3D ones included in Road-hog123's pack but he is too lazy to place them atm and this is just easier to place for the time being ;)
Ahh, my bad. I read that as 'These are actually 3D ones....' :) Apologies.

Good Evening all,

First of all I'm impressed with your work and your video of the number 3 route. I am a current Blackpool Transport driver and want to offer some constructive feedback for yourself if that's ok.
- Langdale road is a pain in the backside for Parked cars especially as you turn left out of tesco.
- Same with around Bispham Hotel
- I'm a little confused to why you would close off Dixon Road when it's the towns major timing point North bound and if it was to happen in real life it would cause mayhem also the council would make it busses and taxi's only.
- The turn at tesco now has a lampost their so is a complete pain in the arse to make the turn.
- Landale and Penrose are both limited to 10mph for busses per company policy of 10 mph over speed ramps.
- At the end of Langdale to the left is the Catch22 depot. (food for thought)
- Town centre is absolutely spot on apart from the manic nature of traffic and sheer amount of busses that use that area.
- to stop larger vehicles turning left at the (no left turn) at Wilko's Island there is another lampost right on the corner.
- absolutely love the detail you've gone to with sainsbury's.

To answer an earlier question on Kerbs... around Blackpool theirs very few raised kerbs.

Are you going to do the full route or are you using the 19:15 diversion avoiding Kincraig?

I am very impressed with the route and wish you very well with the progress. If you want any information please don't hesitate to ask.

@Bobbobington Thanks for your comments! Is Langdale Road and Penrose Ave 10mph the entire way or just where the speed humps are?

The Catch 22 depot was mentioned to me, I actually built this bit back when I was setting the map in the "metro era" so the Catch 22 depot wasn't there then, but might be worth adding in now as I was thinking of adding in the 22 from Cleveleys to Town Centre (along with the 9) once I had completed the 3 up to that point.

The plan for the 3 is roughly as follows, I think I've discussed this on Discord and hadn't relayed the info over here

Version 1 - Mereside Tesco - Town Centre
Version 2 - To Gynn Square
Version 3 - To Bispham Hotel
Version 4 - To Bispham College
Version 5 - To Cleveleys

With version 1 in mind, I decided to close off Dixon road and have put a temp stop opposite Prudential House for Dixon Road and plan to have the bus turn right and then start the return trip outside Wilko. I know in real life it doesnt stop here but doing this makes it a smooth transition for now. Also as I haven't built down Dixon Road yet it hides this so the map doesn't look silly with a road that just vanishes! Obviously when I get to Gynn square the temp stop will be removed and the buses will stop opposite Funny Girls and then on the return trip will go via Abingdon Street etc. I did consider making the bus turn left and go down Talbot Rd towards Abingdon Street now, but figured the corner was too tight and so this was the best compromise.

upload_2017-8-14_10-5-35.png

upload_2017-8-14_10-6-23.png

I did want to make the full route and release as one version, but after looking at it, and the amount of time its taken so far to get the map to where it is, Im going to release in stages.

With regards to the Kincraig diversion, Im planning on keep it to the real schedule, and having it run through there during the day and not at night!

Fair point
@Bobbobington Thanks for your comments! Is Langdale Road and Penrose Ave 10mph the entire way or just where the speed humps are?

With version 1 in mind, I decided to close off Dixon road and have put a temp stop opposite Prudential House for Dixon Road and plan to have the bus turn right and then start the return trip outside Wilko. I know in real life it doesnt stop here but doing this makes it a smooth transition for now. Also as I haven't built down Dixon Road yet it hides this so the map doesn't look silly with a road that just vanishes! Obviously when I get to Gynn square the temp stop will be removed and the buses will stop opposite Funny Girls and then on the return trip will go via Abingdon Street etc. I did consider making the bus turn left and go down Talbot Rd towards Abingdon Street now, but figured the corner was too tight and so this was the best compromise.

I did want to make the full route and release as one version, but after looking at it, and the amount of time its taken so far to get the map to where it is, Im going to release in stages.

With regards to the Kincraig diversion, Im planning on keep it to the real schedule, and having it run through there during the day and not at night!

Company policy is 10mph over speed ramps and the road around Landale and penrose is 20mph anyways.

As a suggestion for version 1 why not have it turn right at the Washington, left at the turn left by the old bus station then left on to Talbot road then off to Abingdon Street. Abingdon Street and Clifton Street are both major terminus' in the town for Bpl transport, Catch 22 and Stagecoach.

Either way I'm very impressed with your work and will look forward to seeing the finished project.

Reactions: Callum23

Advertisement

Users who are viewing this thread