Best way to clean laptop keyboard! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
I'm an idiot so I threw a bottle of IrnBru over the keyboard on my laptop - bad idea!

Was going to remove the keys and then clean it that way but after watching a few youtube videos it turned out to be super fiddly and nothing like a desktop keyboard so I chose the next best thing! Just put water on it too!

Best part is that it's worked, probably needs to be done a few more times to completely clear eveything out but for the most part all the keys are moving (and more imporantly working!) as usual! :p

Any suggestions on how to do this properly without just throwing water over or removing the key caps? It's too fiddly and I'd probably end up breaking the clips off..

Update! The water dried off and now the keys are sticky again.. Decided to try taking off the enter key and cleaning it, that worked but now the clip has broken on one corner so don't think I'll be bothering with the rest! The water experiment continues..

I'm not responisble if you break your laptop, it's an awful idea to throw water over it but I've spilt enough drinks over the keyboard to be pretty sure one more wouldn't hurt! If you've not had water on your keyboard before I wouldn't sugggest throwing it over there incase something gets inside your laptop..

Last edited:

Seven

The Dickhead
Aug 25, 2014
UK
lx-fx.co.uk
Good job, @Max. Good luck getting the sticky "Irn Bru" out of your keyboard - practice self control. ;)
MpmjvPV.gif

Advertisement

It’s a good idea to clean your laptop keyboard regularly. However, to avoid damaging it, there are some things you need to keep in mind when you are removing dust and particles, or cleaning the keys.

Every so often, you can use a vacuum to clean your laptop keyboard. Use the little portable vacuums, with either the tiny (toothbrush-size) brush or the upholstery-cleaning attachment. This effectively sucks up all the crud in the keyboard. It’s amazing to watch.

Max

-- .- -..-
FF Council
Jan 12, 2014
UK
Right then, I've finally found the solution! Car glass cleaner! Spray over keybaord, wait a few seconds, wipe off - done!

And yes, I've been using my laptop with half the keyboard that sticks down since May 23rd last year.. :P

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread