Best Steering Wheel (on a budget!) (2 Viewers)

Hi all.

The title of this kind of says it all. I'm growing tired of using the keyboard and mouse routine so would like to try and get the realistic feel that a steering wheel would offer. I've had my eye on the Logitech GT Driving Force but even on eBay, secondhand, it's still a little too expensive. I currently have around £50 to play with so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Solution
The G920 is a good wheel but the one big issue with it is the VERY stiff brake pedal. It has a piece of rubber inside the mechanism which makes it very hard to press and I've found with OMSI is that you either don't slow down or when you press it a little bit more you end up stopping dead so you have to find the sweet spot when braking.

Advertisement

The best you're going to get for a low price is a Logitech GT Driving Force. From my knowledge, All the Thrustmaster ones are fairly expensive along with Logitech G29s/G920s also being expensive. You might be able to get a low price for a G29/G920 when it's on sale at PCWorld.
Thank you for your reply. Had a feeling that would be the case ahah. I'll try and either save or hopefully get a good deal on eBay or something

Hi all.

The title of this kind of says it all. I'm growing tired of using the keyboard and mouse routine so would like to try and get the realistic feel that a steering wheel would offer. I've had my eye on the Logitech GT Driving Force but even on eBay, secondhand, it's still a little too expensive. I currently have around £50 to play with so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

For we share the same name and problems Bredrin

Mar 30, 2016
London
Thank you for your reply. Had a feeling that would be the case ahah. I'll try and either save or hopefully get a good deal on eBay or something
I use the g2920 and in my opinion it's pretty good for not only for Omsi but a lot of other games too! But overall it's worth waiting for a discount, I got it for 150 quid on Black Friday.

Well I use the Logitech G27 which has a 3 pedal configuration (Clutch, Brake and Accelerator) and a 6 speed H-Shifter. Fantastic for OMSI as you can use gears 3 and 4 on the Shifter as Handbrake apply and disengage and you've got 900 degrees of rotation that make driving a bus in OMSI have a very realistic feel. The G27 is great for other games as well such as ETS2 and ATS, as you can set up manual gearing on your truck and set the shifter to go through up to all 18 (Which is the max a truck has).

The problem with the G920/G29 is that by default it does not come with a shifter (Having a new style shifter will cost roughly an extra £30/£40), but it does have far more buttons than a G27 and is a lot quieter, which are about the only differences between the 27 and 29. Although G27's are no longer available to buy brand new, there are still a few left for sale on ebay for about £150 and having a G27 is becoming increasingly rare (I'm lucky to have one as people are just buying them and stripping them down for parts).

On the £50 you have, you can't go wrong with a Logitech Driving force GT. It does not have a H-Shifter, but does have a simple Gear Up/Down control on the side of the wheel. I believe the DFGT does not come with a clutch pedal either (Which to be honest is not to important for OMSI, not even I use it) but is a problem if you want to play other games such as ETS2 as although you can have manual gearing without a clutch, it doesn't feel right. I think save up some more and try and shoot for either a G27 on ebay or a G29/G920 (IDK which is compatible with what). However if you are not able to save up much more or are really desperate to get a wheel, then DFGT is where you should go.

Sambob_12

Controlling your content since 2018
Administrator
FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Oct 26, 2016
Kent, UK
If you're still looking, I just got a g29 at currys for £150 and it's pretty good. I'd say it was worth the money and it has lots of buttons that can be assigned to various different things. The only problem that I have is that you have to buy the gear stick separately which is another £40-50, but it's not that much of a poblem as most of the buses are automatic, but, like simulatorguy101 said, it gets a bit annoying when you play ets2 or ats. If you don't have that much money, either save up or go for the GT. (g29 can be used with PS3,PS4 & PC, and g920 can be used with Xbox 360, Xbox one & PC)

Advertisement

Sambob_12

Controlling your content since 2018
Administrator
FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Oct 26, 2016
Kent, UK
I'm looking at a wheel myself for a few racing games I'd like to get into properly as well as Omsi.

Looking at the thread and searching out myself - the G29 seems to be the decent option - even without the H stick it looks like it's got flappy paddle so it should all be good.

The g29's definitely worth buying if it's cheap on ebay or in the sales. The cheapest I've seen it is £150, so if you have that much money, go for it. :)

Reactions: Cauterize1750

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
For OMSI, you want a wheel with 900 degrees of rotation at least. Preferably you'd find one with 2000 degrees of rotation, but they're kind of hard to come by :P

That means the entry level wheel is basically a Logitech Driving Force GT, or a second hand G25/G27 if you want a shifter. Your best bet is likely Ebay or CEX for a good price. I've had my DFGT for a while now and while it's not perfect, it's a very solid wheel and a damn sight better than mouse steering. I've also had a lot of fun with it in DiRT:Rally, though it took a while to get the feedback for it set up nicely.

The G29 is a lovely piece of kit, though the pedals and shifter aren't any better than the G25/7 ones, and the shifter costs extra. The base wheel itself also costs a fair bit.

May 24, 2016
I have a Driving Force GT. I had issue getting it working to begin with because it won't be fully compatible with OMSI off the bat. You need to make sure you have the Logitech game hardware software thingy. It doesn't take much and is a decent bit of ware. The program allows you to change how the steering wheel works and the strength of the recenter.

You will also need to enable 900 degrees of rotation in the software as it is not like this to begin with. It isn't a hard process. Once thats done, you can set it up with the automatic setup in OMSI and configure it how you feel. One issue that I had is that the peddles are sensitive. It is a decently priced wheel and is a good experience. The noise of the motor isn't great but I don't think you can get it any quieter on any other wheel. It is the wheel for me especially as I am going to take it apart and replace the wheel with a real one. I don't want to accidentally destroy a really expensive wheel.

Oct 24, 2016
Cymru
So in review I decided to buy the G29 and after a bit of a hassle with Currys/PC World over delivery it arrived yesterday

After a bit of fiddling around with the settings in the application and in OMSI I got the setup working nicely - its taking a bit of getting used to considering this is the first time driving with a wheel, but its alot smoother and yet to have a passenger complain at my driving!

The G29 is a super bit of kit on review, lots of buttons to configure different things, and is worth the additional cost if you can stretch to it. (Although the G27 is also decent from what one of my friends has told me who has had one for a while, if you can get hold of one cheap)

All I need to do is set up my Track IR again..

Advertisement

Jul 30, 2016
Have prices shot up in the last few years? My current wheel was a basic but good quality one from Currys, and I am sure it set me back about £39 when OMSI1 was released, but cheapest I can find now seems to be £70 in all the major high street type stores, for a wheel that appears to have less features than my current one. Looks like £100+ to get a decent one.

My current one is past its best, with the desk mount brackets broken and the wires starting to fray on the PC cable, so I am ready to replace - Any recommendations for a reasonable wheel, for less than £75? I spend 90% of my OMSI time in the editor rather than driving, so it doesn't need to be top spec!

Advertisement

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread