B9TL Indicator Speed Help (1 Viewer)

Sambob_12

Controlling your content since 2018
Administrator
FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Oct 26, 2016
Kent, UK
Yesterday, I changed the colour of the display on the B9TL Gemini 2, and must have changed something by accident, as the hazard lights and the right indicator have changed speeds. I've searched the model file for the bus and can't find the speed. If anyone knows how to change it, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Sambob_12

Advertisement

Sambob_12

Administrator
FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Oct 26, 2016
Kent, UK
I imagine the bus uses the default scripts for lights, in which case there is a failure mode where if one or more of the bulbs fails then the blink rate changes. It's a random thing that happens when maintenance isn't set to infinity. :)

If it is that, then I don't get why it's only the right indicator (when I click num9) and both of them when the hazard lights are on. When I click num7, the left indicator is normal speed

Sambob_12

Administrator
FF Council
Premium Subscriber
Oct 26, 2016
Kent, UK

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
If it is that, then I don't get why it's only the right indicator (when I click num9) and both of them when the hazard lights are on. When I click num7, the left indicator is normal speed
Yeah, it's because the script simulates 1990s buses. These have very simple electronic circuits that rely on the resistive nature of filament bulbs for part of the flashing circuit timing.
3db9d6524af2c2ae9291913e0020e73e.gif
When the indicator is first switched on, power flows from +12V via R1, C1 and L1, with R1 and L1's combined resistance limiting the rate at which C1 charges (L1 passes a little current while C1 charges, but not enough to cause it to light). When C1 reaches a high enough charge, the voltage across the electromagnet on the left side of RELAY1 is sufficient that the switch is pulled across and current flows from +12V straight to L1, causing it to light. During this time C1 discharges until RELAY1 returns to the off position.
This means that when one of the bulbs fails, it fails short circuit, becoming less resistive and thus changing the nature of the circuit, causing the flasher to change timing. What this means is that you get a flasher circuit with a different timing only when that failed bulb is in the circuit, which is only when that side is active or when both sides are active with the hazards. You may not actually be able to see which bulb has failed because it is likely that although the script is still simulating bulb failures like a 1990s German bus, the actual light effects on the bus may well just use the main flash variable which doesn't show up which bulb has failed.
As has been suggested, that failure should go away if the bus is repaired or a new one is spawned (unless you're unlucky enough to get that failure again).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread