Any buses that self level? (1 Viewer)

blahjason

Developer of the Optare Solo
Oct 23, 2016
I was wondering if there are any buses on OMSI that self level?
What I mean by that is, where the air suspension automatically raises/lowers randomly to correct the riding height.

If there isn't, is there any way you can make a bus do that like the CityBus 400?

Thanks.

Advertisement

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
I think the C400 does, try riding up a kerb-you should be able to hear something. However, it is extremely faint, and I think it needs to be more 'significant'.

It was louder initially, but the problem was that every time you pulled up or accelerated slightly too hard the thing would start hissing furiously at you :P

Reactions: Jacobthebus

SamNeedham123

Founder of The Truck Stop
May 19, 2016
Louth, England
discord.gg
Pronouns
He/Him
It was louder initially, but the problem was that every time you pulled up or accelerated slightly too hard the thing would start hissing furiously at you :tongueout:

Stagecoach Grimsby has an E400 that hisses furiously whenever you take a corner! There you are, driving along and suddenly 'hisssssss' - 'hisssssssss', blah blah blah. Pretty different and kinda unique!

Same sound files as currently, the only difference is in the sound config file

How would it be adjusted so it was more prominent? Just want to experiment! :tonguewink:

Advertisement

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
All of the default buses self-level (including the buses that have leaf springs...) and I imagine the vast majority of 3rd-party vehicles will use the original bremse scripts or modified versions and therefore have this self-levelling.
The C400R's kneeling is a bit of a bodge that adjusts the suspension deflection target on the front axle, so it adjusts to what it thinks is a lower front ride height. On the default buses the self-levelling script runs every render frame (it may be partly why buses jump uncontrollably at low fps) and adjusts even when the vehicle is in motion, but as it has no sounds associated with it you are unlikely to notice it, except perhaps when the EN92/GN92 slowly rises while the suspension air pressure (yellow flashing warning light) is building up when the engine is first started.
For the C400R, I added a sound to the lowering part of the script - you hear it when you kneel the bus or as you come to a stop while braking hard - the hissing was constant in motion so I disabled level-control until the vehicle is near-stationary (less than 0.1 kph) which leads then to a short hiss as the bus tries to level before it has fully stopped, while inertia is rolling the body forward. Disabling the levelling in motion does have the unfortunate side-effect that the suspension seems a bit squishy now as the levelling system isn't pumping up the suspension when the vehicle rolls during cornering.
I'm not sure the behaviour of the script is quite as per reality, I do want to try and make some tweaks when I get time. The issues I've identified with it are too many to list nicely, although none of them are much more than realism nit-picking.

Reactions: 0118999

blahjason

Oct 23, 2016
All of the default buses self-level (including the buses that have leaf springs...) and I imagine the vast majority of 3rd-party vehicles will use the original bremse scripts or modified versions and therefore have this self-levelling.
The C400R's kneeling is a bit of a bodge that adjusts the suspension deflection target on the front axle, so it adjusts to what it thinks is a lower front ride height. On the default buses the self-levelling script runs every render frame (it may be partly why buses jump uncontrollably at low fps) and adjusts even when the vehicle is in motion, but as it has no sounds associated with it you are unlikely to notice it, except perhaps when the EN92/GN92 slowly rises while the suspension air pressure (yellow flashing warning light) is building up when the engine is first started.
For the C400R, I added a sound to the lowering part of the script - you hear it when you kneel the bus or as you come to a stop while braking hard - the hissing was constant in motion so I disabled level-control until the vehicle is near-stationary (less than 0.1 kph) which leads then to a short hiss as the bus tries to level before it has fully stopped, while inertia is rolling the body forward. Disabling the levelling in motion does have the unfortunate side-effect that the suspension seems a bit squishy now as the levelling system isn't pumping up the suspension when the vehicle rolls during cornering.
I'm not sure the behaviour of the script is quite as per reality, I do want to try and make some tweaks when I get time. The issues I've identified with it are too many to list nicely, although none of them are much more than realism nit-picking.
Okay, cool.

Next time I drive the C400, i'll keep a listen in. I'll also see if I can make it louder XD

blahjason

Oct 23, 2016
You wouldn't hear the sound of the hissing after braking in real life unless there was a air leak within the system - Only when kneeling do you hear it.
Im not talking about kneeling or anything.

It's 'self leveling', the suspension levels when there is so much weight, so if you had like 40 passengers on the bus, it would sag. So the suspension raises automatically ;)

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Yeah, the hissing after stopping is one of the things I want to fix. It only happens because the levelling system is enabled just as the vehicle comes to a halt and at that point the front suspension is seen to be too low and the rear too high so the levelling system sets about correcting it while the body is settling. The sound tapers out with the reduction in adjustment size as it stabilises at the set height. I'm going to investigate tweaking the levelling system when I have time in the next few days.

Advertisement

blahjason

Oct 23, 2016
Yeah, the hissing after stopping is one of the things I want to fix. It only happens because the levelling system is enabled just as the vehicle comes to a halt and at that point the front suspension is seen to be too low and the rear too high so the levelling system sets about correcting it while the body is settling. The sound tapers out with the reduction in adjustment size as it stabilises at the set height. I'm going to investigate tweaking the levelling system when I have time in the next few days.
Okay cool, I don't mind when it levels when the bus is stationary. I know for a fact the B7RLE does it. But yeah. When I heard the sound, I didn't really notice the bus changing height.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread