Acer Nitro 5 - Black Friday please help (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase a gaming laptops for games such as OMSI 2 (e.g. for the new London Add-on once released and other games currently available like Bowdenham), Train Simulator/Train Sim World and ETS2 and maybe some more titles.

I have found a laptop that looks quite good in Curry's for £650 but I wanted to know your opinions on it as I am not experienced within this and I am assuming all you guys play OMSI 2 and have a laptop capable enough to do so.

The laptop I found is the Acer Nitro 5: ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD The specs etc. are in the link.

I'd be so grateful if you could let me know your opinions especially before Black Friday ends, thank you :)

Solution
Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase a gaming laptops for games such as OMSI 2 (e.g. for the new London Add-on once released and other games currently available like Bowdenham), Train Simulator/Train Sim World and ETS2 and maybe some more titles.

I have found a laptop that looks quite good in Curry's for £650 but I wanted to know your opinions on it as I am not experienced within this and I am assuming all you guys play OMSI 2 and have a laptop capable enough to do so.

The laptop I found is the Acer Nitro 5: ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD The specs etc. are in the link.

I'd be so grateful if you could let me know your opinions especially before Black Friday ends, thank you :)

As...

whistlehead

Alias Mr Hackenbacker
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Hello everyone,

As far as laptops go, that's a great processor (most important thing for OMSI). It also has a pretty decent graphics chip, enough RAM, an IPS screen and a good sized HDD for what looks to me like a pretty decent price, though I haven't kept tabs on gaming laptop prices lately. Personally I don't like bulky laptops but as a device, and if that's what you want, it looks good to me. The only thing about it I would be cautious about is the 5400RPM physical hard disk - that's pretty slow and really you want an SSD.

However, looking around I noticed this:

ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5+ GTX 1050 Gaming Laptop - 1 TB, Black

Which looking at the specs appears to be the exact same thing, except it's £20 cheaper AND has an Intel Optane module, which effectively accelerates the speed of the hard drive - so I'd get that one if I were you :P

Oh and one quick cautionary note: OMSI will never run perfectly, on any machine, so don't expect miracles. It'll be about as good as OMSI can reasonably be but it won't be perfect. Everything else, on the other hand, should run nicely - the 1050 4GB is a decent card for playing current games at 1080p medium-high settings, or 720p ultra.

Hope that helps :)

Solution

Advertisement

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread