414 BVG MAN Lion City DD to be replaced (1 Viewer)

MAN Double Decker (such as SD 200, SD 202, Man Lion City DD) are the iconic fleet in BVG. MAN has discontinued the MAN Lion City DD series and with the aged and deteriorating Man Lion City DD, BVG has started several trials with 3 demo units - double decker from Scania, VDL and Alexander Dennis back in 2015.

BVG is planning to replace all 414 MAN Lion City DD in the next few years, with Alexander Dennis as a favored choice. In the meantime, BVG works with MAN to refurbish the existing fleet until the new bus arrive.

Previously Alexander Dennis have supplied 19 Enviro500s with dual staircases and three doors for PostAuto in Switzerland, which could be a reference for future BVG fleet specification. The unit is shown in Busworld 2017:

(Sources: berliner-zeitung, tagesspiegel, omnibus news)

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
Least the DD is preserved in OMSI, I am not sure what preservation groups are like in Berlin, they seem to favour 70s buses rather than modern builds - they did trial one in Poland, doubt it'll catch on, they'll probably end up on the scrap heap.

Alexander Dennis secures Berlin Enviro500 contract

Alexander Dennis Ltd (ADL) is to build a new fleet of tri-axle Enviro500 double-decker buses for Berlin operator Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG).

The manufacturer has been awarded a contract to supply 13.8m vehicles with three doors, two staircases and 80 seats. The first new buses are due to arrive in Berlin in 2020.

An initial delivery of two pre-series vehicles has been agreed. Assuming tests and trial operation is successful, a minimum order for 70 vehicles is expected.

BVG said that its current plans envisage a fleet of 200 Enviro500s on the streets of Berlin in the near term. The present decision of BVG’s supervisory board allows the order of up to 430 buses from the framework contract, with a maximum investment volume of €220m (£194m).

(Source: Coach & Bus Week Alexander Dennis secures Berlin Enviro500 contract - Coach & Bus Week)

Hopefully this bus will make it way to the OMSI one day - a left-hand driving Enviro 500 MMC!

Alexander-Dennis-Enviro500-for-Berlin-2-resized.jpg

Road-hog123

An Orange Bus
FF Council
UKDT
Add-on London Team
Dec 10, 2015
Kent, UK
roadhog123.co.uk
Pronouns
He/Him
Hopefully this bus will make it way to the OMSI one day - a left-hand driving Enviro 500 MMC!
You never know, but the time these arrive in 2020 it might be possible to add them as AI or even user vehicles to the default Berlin map for LOTUS-Simulator. :P

Reactions: BusLover2

Advertisement

LT586

Was Living in the editor
Oct 25, 2016
North
Ah thats cool i'll miss the MAN LC DD as its a unique bus. But things must move on, i like how BVG thoroughly test a product before a mass delivery unlike TfL and Boris with the NBfL, but i digress

2020 is a special year for me anyhow and this just adds to it

Reactions: BusLover2
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

Users who are viewing this thread